AG brew. Adding LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonogg

Reaction score
I have a Bavarian hefe recipe I want to Brew. I went to pick up my grains that I asked my local brew shop to hold and they sold some of the wheat I needed. so I subbed the wheat for LME which is what they suggested. Long story short I still want to brew tomorrow whats the best way to add the LME. My local Brew Shop said to add it to my boil. I was curious if I can add it to my mash?

Since the sugar is already extracted there is no need to add it to the mash. I would throw it in the boil myself.

Okay, but would it add anything putting it in the mash? Or better yet would it hurt anything?

It would probably limit your extraction by upping the dissolved material in your sparge, and I can't see any potential benefit.

Cool, was just curious thanks for the response this is my Fith Brew just got into it and loving it!

I would add the LME at flameout or close to the end of the boil so you don't have any issues with it caramelizing and darkening your beer. It would be the same as a late addition if you were using all extract, and since you will already have the majority of your sugars in there already there is no need to add it in the beginning. You don't want to run the risk of a amber wheat beer.

Nice, so should I add it right before my finishing hops or after?

foonogg said:
Nice, so should I add it right before my finishing hops or after?

I personally add it at flameout, if you add it with the flame on it sinks right to the bottom and can stick and burn. it works well for me since I'm already stirring the wort around my chiller so it mixes while the wort is cooling.

Cut the flame with 5 minutes left, add LME and stir it up being sure not to leave any on the bottom of the kettle. Then light the flame back up and finish the boil... the extract needs to boil at least a little bit so it can be sanitized.

Awesome thanks a ton ill let you know how it turns out.

One other question I have though this will be my first time adding oxygen to the wort is there any point to the stone you use other than weighing the hose down? Or do certain stones do certain things?

Awesome thanks a ton ill let you know how it turns out.

One other question I have though this will be my first time adding oxygen to the wort is there any point to the stone you use other than weighing the hose down? Or do certain stones do certain things?

The point of the diffuser stone is to make the oxygen into smaller pieces, so to speak, so that it can diffuse into the wort.

Awesome, thanks is there a guideline on how long to diffuse the wort or is it just a guess?

Thanks brewing today went great

ForumRunner_20120116_161101.jpg

Latest posts

Back