Buying 33lbs of malt extract, any ideas on hops to get and some steeping grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
http://www.listermann.com/Store/products.asp?id=20

Found a great place to buy bulk malt extract.
33lbs for 59 bucks.

The bulk malt looks like it would make 2 strong batches and 3 regular batches out of the 33llbs.

Am wondering............ Id like to make a pale ale or IPA. What types of bulk hops/steeping grains should I get to make a specific pale ale or something similar?
:mug:

These batches would be specifically for parties...

Thanks.:eek:

Ahh ok I hear ya.

Will going to the light extract be worth it going liquid? The only reason for DME would be to keep longer and for light color... correct?

And, you know DME will not of been kept longer than it should.

LME need to be sold quickly to get a fast turn around.

But got for what ever works for you. Your beer'll be great.

The pale or super-pale would work just fine for a Pale Ale. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with using LME. It does get darker over long periods of time.

Some Crystal 60L, about a pound per 10 gallon batch, is about all a Pale needs. Hops, depends on what you like. What I do is pick an ale I like, then look for a clone recipe & work from there.

Well, I don't know the bloke's schedule, but anyone who brews 30 gallons of beer at a wack "specifically for parties" leaves me in the dust.

I use Muntons light DME and that's dark enough! The light LME I've used has been darker. Extra light DME is hard to find in the UK.

I get my LME here, $44.95 for 33 lbs, $10 credit on shipping for first order:

http://www.brewbyyou.com/easysearch/Malt Extract Liquid.htm

Get some crystal grains and some cascade hops and you're all set for several batches of pale ale pretty cheap. If you can't use 33 lbs within a few months and want to order in bulk, get DME instead. It costs more, but bulk LME isn't good for more than 2-3 months.

Sorry but how much cascase hops and crystal would you use per batch?

Id think 2 oz hops each batch and a 1lb of crystal?

Im loooking up some other recipes right now...

Light Extract $44.95
Hop Special $10.00 1lb
C3014A Munton's Crystal $4.95 5lbs
Total: $59.90

Id say thats good enough for five batches of beer from 33lbs of malt...:rockin:

Hops/ steeping grains for an IPA?

Definately steep some crystal malt in there to add some fresh grain & caramel flavours, it really spruces up an extract brew.
A strong bittering hop ~ 10% AAU such as Nugget (USA) or Northern Brewer (UK/ USA) & you can't go far wrong with Goldings ~ 5% AAU for aroma hops.

really depends wether you want a British or American style Pale Ale
Matt

OK maybe ill get four different kinds of hops for an ipa or pale ale and mix and match and see what happens..

Still would a 1 lb of crystal malt be too much or too little?

OK Crystal malt is just grain right?

I see some on the website and I assume you want the grains cracked.

Are these the same ones youd use for steeping for 30 mins? Thats what im looking for.

Yes the grains should be cracked for steeping. One pound per batch should be plenty and you might try some different types of Crystal to taste the differences. I like Victory,Munich and Honey malt too. For hops try Columbus,Simcoe,Goldings and Amarillo.

Back