Fertilizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawjr

Reaction score
When do I add it? What kind should I use? I have some miracle grow in the cabinet, would that do?

I fertilized my second year cascade already. I use happy frog organic vegetable fertilizer, something like 7-4-5. Shoot for 3-1-2, or multiplies thereof. But if yours are first year, I'd hold off until mid ssummer

I'd wait until mid May then again in mid June. Get a soil test kit to see where you are.

Did you add manure or any black amendments that smell like sulfur? If so, hang out for a while and monitor based on looks. If you didn't add nutrient amendments, then I'd look at a teaspoon of something mild with low numbers and water it in well. Do this after the plant stalls out from the energy in the rhizomes.

I have them in big half 55 gal barrels with 1 part potting soil, 1 part humus and manure mix, and 2 parts top soil...

I don't even know if thats a good mixture...its just what I put together...they seem to be growing fine in it, I was just wondering when to had any fertilizer

I have them in big half 55 gal barrels with 1 part potting soil, 1 part humus and manure mix, and 2 parts top soil...

"top soil" is vague. It could imply manure in the mix. If it stinks, then there is probably manure in there. I'd make sure that the rhizomes are kept moist until they root in and let it hang out for a couple weeks to see.

Latest posts

Back