Belgo-American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a vile of Saison II that expired last November from my LHBS I have stepped it up & have enough to pitch into a batch...

I brewed an American IPA a couple weeks ago it isn't carbed up yet, but the hydrometer sample tasted promising anyway, I was thinking about brewing another batch of the IPA but make it a Belgian/American IPA this time....

Here is the recipe I used the first time
10# Pale Malt
1# White Wheat
.5# Vienna
Mashed @ 152 for 60min

1oz Magnum 14.2%aa@ 60
.5oz Chinook 11.6%aa @30
.5oz Centennial 9%aa @30
.5oz Centennial 9%aa @10
.5oz Cascade 7.1%aa @5
.5oz Chinook 11.6%aa @5

1ozCentennial Dry Hop
1oz Cascade Dry Hop

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.015
IBU:75.5
SRM:4.1

So my question is could I basically just mash at a lower temperature (145?) & maybe bump up the alcohol with a pound of sugar in the boil & of coarse pitch the Saison II yeast to get the kind of beer I want? The hops are pretty prevalent in the normal IPA I just brewed as they should be, but do I need to change my hopping to let the yeast shine through, or b/c of how dry it may get in this version? Grain bill still Okay? Hmmm I wonder if I should use Belgian Pale & Belgian Wheat this time?

I have never made a Begian/American IPA before nor have I used this yeast before so any tips or experience brewing a beer like this would really help.

I'm going to buy my grain & hops tomorrow, but brewing Sunday, any help is appreciated

Cheers

I'm not much of an IPA guy but it looks alright to me. As somebody who fermented with 3711, I will say this: if you want any of the Belgian characteristics, ferment it warm or else the characteristics might not shine through.

Ever had Stone Cali-belgique IPA? It is the same beer as their IPA brewed with Duvel yeast. If the IPA is good, just brew the same.

2 comments:

1.015 seems a high FG, mash lower, about 148/150.

As noted previously, ramp temp up as fermentation progresses.

Should be a good beer.

Sweet sounds good! I will try mashing lower maybe 145-148 unfortunately Stone doesn't distribute here so no i haven't gotten to try Cali-belgique but i have had a couple other really hoppy beers fermented w/ Belgian yeast & really enjoyed them...

I guess I will just brew it up & see what happens!

Thanks for the help I will ferment warm, I plan to pitch around 68° & let it free rise for a day or so then start turning up the temp till I get to about 80°

I'm excited for this one!:mug:

Latest posts

Back