hair in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutab81

Reaction score
Racked my wine to secondary, and today noticed a small hair floating on top.

Worry or just get it out when I get to next step in 10 days? Ant issue since fermentation is near completion?

No worries. I've never made wine, but if it were beer I'd leave it. A little protein never hurt anyone. And the alcohol would zap anything bad. You could probably fish it out pretty easily though.

You should be fine. That happened to me once... SWMBO was the cluprit... No doubt. As long as there are no signs of infection (smell or mold), just move forward and don't tell your friends who are drinking it!

I was just planning on fishing in 10 days at clearing. Not wanting to risk infection if I don't have to open again! Ifthats cool let me know

As propieter of 2 Cats Winery, I can assure you that a bit of fur can only add to your wines flavor. One hair???? You won't even notice it...

A hair in your wine would probably be the most harmless 'bonus ingredient' you would consume on any given day.

Back