New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anytime you wanna get a beer at Swiftys, Oslatterys(if you don’t know they have hill farmstead from time to time), or come try some home brew let me know
For sure, thanks for the offer! I hit Real McCoy and the Royal Meadery almost weekly as well.

Fresh batch of HB NEIPA. Calling this one "Flip Flops in February" triple dry hopped with hüll melon, el dorado, and citra. Best NE ive ever made.
20190215_190016.jpeg

Mmannnnn outrageous amount of hops. You could get just an equally solid flavor with 12 oz in total.
I know its excessive, but the first addition goes in woth active fermentation around 70 degrees. The second at 68 when it slowwing and the third at 64 after fermentation is complete. The different temps at dryhopping, in my opinion, creat a depth i havent gotten with less than a pound and a half.

I know its excessive, but the first addition goes in woth active fermentation around 70 degrees. The second at 68 when it slowwing and the third at 64 after fermentation is complete. The different temps at dryhopping, in my opinion, creat a depth i havent gotten with less than a pound and a half.
I mean I’m sure it’s good, I dont doubt that but I truly think you could cut it in half and get a more hop varietal specific flavor and save 20-30 bucks lol

I mean I’m sure it’s good, I dont doubt that but I truly think you could cut it in half and get a more hop varietal specific flavor and save 20-30 bucks lol
I wasnt very good at the style last time i tried less hops, maybe ill try a batch with less now that ive gotten better

My latest addition... Helles lager... cheers!

Attachments

• 92D6D4AF-4797-4B56-9BF2-A2625D71861E.jpeg
    92D6D4AF-4797-4B56-9BF2-A2625D71861E.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 124
I am pretty impressed with this whole experience; both the beer and the keg.

Three days after kegging the beer, it was ready to pour. I got a little more foam than I expected, and the beer was a little bit hazier than I expected; however, I am 95% sure that this was due to the fact that I drove 3 miles on a bumpy road before trying it, and also because I am pretty sure one of my sons loosened the pressure cap while it was carbonating. I'll know more about this next time.

In any case, the beer looked great:

Vt1UFMT.jpg

The colour, even with the unexpected haziness, was absolutely beautiful. The aroma was very nice, with a balance of the malts and the nugget hops that I really liked, with a nice, light, citrusy kick from the bergamot in the tea that went well with the woodiness of the Nugget hops.

The mouthfeel was smooth and full-bodied, kind of addictive in a way that I really liked. The taste of the beer reflected the aroma, with a prominent (but not over-whelming) maltiness balanced by a delightful freshness from the hops and tea. Regretfully, I do not know the grain bill for this American Pale Ale, but Brooklyn Brew Shop nailed it. If I can come close to duplicating it in future brews, I would be very happy. The tea itself was represented very well, and I am convinced that two bags for the gallon as just right. It did not over-power but was definitely noticeable - and complimented the entire beer nicely.

The finish was just a touch more "resiny" (resinous?) than I would prefer, but not by very much. I suspect that most people who enjoy an American Pale Ale would find this to be just about right, or possibly even a little on the light side where that quality is concerned.

Above all, the beer tasted both fresh and refreshing, with no "green" qualities that I could detect in the slightest. This was a true winner!

jgeZCsn.jpg

In summary, I really enjoyed this, and so did my father. The keg made a nice conversation piece and convenient delivery method while we played cribbage that evening. We drank a little more than half the gallon in the one sitting, and I suspect that we'll finish it off before this coming weekend is out.

I am pretty impressed with this whole experience; both the beer and the keg.

Three days after kegging the beer, it was ready to pour. I got a little more foam than I expected, and the beer was a little bit hazier than I expected; however, I am 95% sure that this was due to the fact that I drove 3 miles on a bumpy road before trying it, and also because I am pretty sure one of my sons loosened the pressure cap while it was carbonating. I'll know more about this next time.

In any case, the beer looked great:

Vt1UFMT.jpg

The colour, even with the unexpected haziness, was absolutely beautiful. The aroma was very nice, with a balance of the malts and the nugget hops that I really liked, with a nice, light, citrusy kick from the bergamot in the tea that went well with the woodiness of the Nugget hops.

The mouthfeel was smooth and full-bodied, kind of addictive in a way that I really liked. The taste of the beer reflected the aroma, with a prominent (but not over-whelming) maltiness balanced by a delightful freshness from the hops and tea. Regretfully, I do not know the grain bill for this American Pale Ale, but Brooklyn Brew Shop nailed it. If I can come close to duplicating it in future brews, I would be very happy. The tea itself was represented very well, and I am convinced that two bags for the gallon as just right. It did not over-power but was definitely noticeable - and complimented the entire beer nicely.

The finish was just a touch more "resiny" (resinous?) than I would prefer, but not by very much. I suspect that most people who enjoy an American Pale Ale would find this to be just about right, or possibly even a little on the light side where that quality is concerned.

Above all, the beer tasted both fresh and refreshing, with no "green" qualities that I could detect in the slightest. This was a true winner!

jgeZCsn.jpg

In summary, I really enjoyed this, and so did my father. The keg made a nice conversation piece and convenient delivery method while we played cribbage that evening. We drank a little more than half the gallon in the one sitting, and I suspect that we'll finish it off before this coming weekend is out.
Did you keg this directly to your Ukeg?

Hefenweizen.
Five days after bottling ready for drink and very delicious.

From brew to drinking for 15 days (bottle carbonation)!!!

Very drinkable, fresh and simple (pils/wheat half-half, very little Magnum on 5 minute boil and WB-06).

hefenweizen (young).jpg

Did you keg this directly to your Ukeg?

Hi, DH -

I did exactly that, yes; I racked from primary (after cold-crashing) directly into the keg, then force-carbed it. It worked pretty well and I found it to be quite user-friendly. In my opinion it is more convenient than bottling, and the final product is at least as good as when bottled. No complaints at all!

Last edited:
Hi, DH -

I did exactly that, yes; I racked from primary (after col-crashing) directly into the keg, then force-carbed it. It worked pretty well and I found it to be quite user-friendly. In my opinion it is more convenient than bottling, and the final product is at least as good as when bottled. No complaints at all!
Good to know, thanks. Nice job on your brew!

My last can of actual Heady Topper from my trip in October vs. my clone. Which is which?

Attachments

• 5392DB45-623A-487E-A885-8744AEFE8067.jpeg
    5392DB45-623A-487E-A885-8744AEFE8067.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
My last can of actual Heady Topper from my trip in October vs. my clone. Which is which?
I’m with @PianoMan The head is better on the right, heady typically has a great head. However you said it’s from October so there is a chance most of the protiens floced and it’s loosing it head retention.... but who holds on their heady that long anyway lol

Anyway nice job

right is the real thing

Winner winner. Real heady is on the right. The pint on the left had been poured a minute or two before the can.

I’m with @PianoMan The head is better on the right, heady typically has a great head. However you said it’s from October so there is a chance most of the protiens floced and it’s loosing it head retention.... but who holds on their heady that long anyway lol

Anyway nice job

When you live in Iowa, it’s pretty hard to get. So I had to make sure I saved ONE can from my trip for comparison purposes. All I can say is wow. Heady holds up INSANELY well in the can.

I’ve got a way to go on my clone yet. The core flavors are there, but the balance is off. Real Heady was much more dry and bitter than my clone (in a good way).

Winner winner. Real heady is on the right. The pint on the left had been poured a minute or two before the can.

When you live in Iowa, it’s pretty hard to get. So I had to make sure I saved ONE can from my trip for comparison purposes. All I can say is wow. Heady holds up INSANELY well in the can.

I’ve got a way to go on my clone yet. The core flavors are there, but the balance is off. Real Heady was much more dry and bitter than my clone (in a good way).
Lower mash temp like 148-150 will help dry it for you. Heady is known for its Conan yeast and is slightly under pitched at 63*f that helps produce the esters and mouthfeel it’s notorious for. If I recall correctly the heady clone uses a 90 min addition. Just up it by .25 or .5 oz and that should do it.

Lower mash temp like 148-150 will help dry it for you. Heady is known for its Conan yeast and is slightly under pitched at 63*f that helps produce the esters and mouthfeel it’s notorious for. If I recall correctly the heady clone uses a 90 min addition. Just up it by .25 or .5 oz and that should do it.

I did mash at 150F for 75 minutes and I did have an appropriately sized pitch of conan at 63F. I think my issue was, this was the second time I used CO2 hop extract, so I'm still getting used to how it behaves. It takes more than I expect based on the AA to get a similar bitterness to pellets.

Cold Brew NEIPA. Seems to be getting better in the keg..View attachment 614837
You’re going to have to pm me the full process of this. I’m sure you’ve posted it elsewhere. Do you do it all grain? Because if so, if I can replicate my recipes doing it this way, I could literally make 3 beers in one brew day

You’re going to have to pm me the full process of this. I’m sure you’ve posted it elsewhere. Do you do it all grain? Because if so, if I can replicate my recipes doing it this way, I could literally make 3 beers in one brew day
3lbs DME Golden Light and 3lbs DME Wheat, 3.75gal RO, 1/4tsp of Gypsum and Calcium Chroide and 1ml Lactic Acid, 1oz Citra Cryo, 1oz Mosaic Cryo, 1oz regular Simcoe.1 Package Omega DIPA and 1 package 05. All added at once. Zero heat. Kegged 7 days later. 15min brew day!

More a proof of concept. Needs more hops for sure.

Last edited:
Back