Beta Gluten Rest Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccudc9

Reaction score
I will be brewing my first AG batch within the next week, It will be an oatmeal stout, which I will do a beta gluten rest at 110. My questions are: Do I add my total grain bill for the beta gluten rest or just the oatmeal? Also, is the a specific ratio of water to grain to use for a beta gluten rest, or is using enough so when I infuse to reach the correct temp for saccharification and get 1.5/lb?
Thanks

It's actually beta glucan (not gluten). You need the base malt in there because that's what supplies the enzymes (although I've read that the particular enzyme; beta-glucanase; is denatured during kilning and is no longer available to the brewer, read it here).

Personally, I would not bother with a Beta Glucan rest unless you have had lautering problems in the past. At that point I'd look at modifying the process to fix the runoff sticking rather than an added low temp rest. For a stout, I'd just mash in at 152 and let her rip. The oatmeal will convert at that temp.

If you are using old-fashion oatmeal cereal, you need to cook it like your were making a loose oatmeal before using in the mash. If you are using brewers oat flakes, or instant oatmeal, it has already been pre-gelantinised and needs no cooking prior to use.
A short protein rest, can help break down the starches and also improve head retention

Back