Pacman yeast very aggressive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
Just brewed my first beer with Pacman on Sunday. I did a fairly heavy heavily hopped IPA and decided to use Pacman as I heard it gives very good attenuation.

I was planning on about a 1.075 OG, and had Pacman that was 2 months old so made a stepped up starter to end up with about 2.5 liters or so. I had a mediocer crush from LHBS so only ended up with a 1.065 OG. (I'll be grinding my own with a Monster Mill soon, just got it last week.)

Anyway so a bit of a heavy pitch, and I had the second step up of the yeast at high krausen when I pitched. Got the temp at about 65 deg F, and had activity in 5-1/2 hours, and some mild blowing off at about 9 hours. I can't believe the CO2 this yeast is making though. My blow off tube goes into a growler of water and normally I get that heartbeat kind of CO2 release with a bubble every second or two. This afternoon my growler looked like the water in it was boiling there is so much CO2 coming out of the fermentor.

This Pacman yeast really cooks!

Pacman's devouring the 1.070 OG Dogfish Head 60 min clone I've got in primary right now. No blowoff fortunately, but the bubbles just keep on coming! This beer's gonna be stroooong.

Back