Recommendation for Beer style for SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweaty

Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I've never brewed a beer to try and get my SWMBO into craft brewing. After having her sample many homebrews and commercial beers I'm thinking I know what she would like.

I want to do a beer using chocolate flavored extract, fresh raspberries, low IBU and alcohol. Only problem is I can't decide on a style!

I was thinking wheat but I'm not sure how the chocolate would go with that. Anything with darker grains are out of the question because when I said "Chocolate Malt" she was all giddy until I let her try some and she was disgusted. Shes not big on the darker beers so stouts are gone out the window too.

I don't know, maybe an Amber Ale? Any suggestions folks?

The issue with using chocolate is that it is pretty bitter and that's why most people use it in stouts or porters. I'm not a stout fan, because I don't like the "roasty" flavor I get out of dark grains.

Some "dark" beers are very light flavored, like Newcastle. Is a brown ale a possiblity?

A fruit wheat/wit/witte? Think of a seasonal fruit, and then add copious amounts to a wheat/wit/witte base. Since you mentioned raspberries, a raspberry wit would be tasty, as would a cranberry/strawberry/any other berry wit. Peach and Apricot Wit are popular, too.

When you're done with it, try it boilermaker style: Pour 10oz of your wit, and drop in half a shot of chocolate liqueur, if it's a flavor that goes well with chocolate. And VIOLA! She's not drinking a beer, she's drinking a beer cocktail.

The issue with using chocolate is that it is pretty bitter and that's why most people use it in stouts or porters. I'm not a stout fan, because I don't like the "roasty" flavor I get out of dark grains.

Some "dark" beers are very light flavored, like Newcastle. Is a brown ale a possiblity?

Maybe, but even that might be too bitter for her likings. An English mild might be good though. Those are low IBUs and Alcohol.

As for the wit, I'm really not sure how chocolate extract would mix with that.

chocolate rasperry porter would be great! Start with a standard Robust Porter recipe. Use cocoa powder at the end of boil and a couple lbs of crushed rasberries in secondary and you'll be happy.

I know this isnt the same style, but my second beer I brewed was a belgian wit. My mother-in-law, wife and my wifes freinds killed the keg before I barely had any.

Back