Q about hop flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Hey all...I'm getting ready to brew an all-Simcoe IPA (LOVE the pine!) and I have a question. I have 3 ounces I'd like to flavor with. What schedule would maximize the hop flavor of these beauties? All in with 15 minutes on the clock, all in with 5 minutes to go? All in at knockout? Or a variation? Also, regarding aroma hopping, which is better: an ounce at knockout or an ounce to dry hop with? Thanks for your opinions!

But what about bittering?

I know of a few HBTer's (myself included) who, when brewing IPA's skip the bittering hops altogether and just add hops at 20 minutes or less. With all of that hop flavor, it balances out nicely with the malt. Check out Whistler85's post in this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hops-q-111503/. I'm doing a variation of his recipe but with 13lbs Maris Otter and 6 oz Simcoe. I just wanted a few more opinions before I brewed this beer.

Yeah, I know about hop bursting; but 3 ounces won't be anywhere enough. 6 ounces, you're talking.

I did an IPA with 9 ounces starting at 20 minutes. I would have liked a little MORE IBUs. The hop flavor is freakin' off the charts! Half the hops in mine were simcoe... It's like sucking on a pine board with flowers and peaches and apricots on it!

Back