Putting a wheat into the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gartj

Reaction score
This might sound like a newb question but I brewed my first wheat and am ready to put in into the secondary. Does it need to be shaken prior to going in or is the yeast staying in suspension? Wyeast 3638 was used if that makes a difference.

Shaking might cause oxidation to the beer. With a wheat beer, I would leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle. Your yeast will still stay suspended, they will just clean up after themselves some. Your patience will be rewarded!

Don't shake it. That is defeating the purpose of a secondary. You can secondary or not it is up to you.

I wouldn't wait 3-4 weeks though. Drink them puppies young!

homebrewer_99 should be here shortly with his advice. :D

3 weeks in primary, then bottle. With all that yeast still in suspension it will carbonate quickly. I will sometimes start drinking mine after 2 weeks in the bottle if the pipeline is dry.

Hell, 2 weeks in primary, bottle/keg, drink immediately (or as soon as the bottles are carbonated).

My Minute Wheat was 15 days from brew to toilet. Tasty as could be, according to the 30 folks who drank the keg dry in 2 hours.

Hell, 2 weeks in primary, bottle/keg, drink immediately (or as soon as the bottles are carbonated).

I agree, I like to secondary pretty much everything except wheats. 2 weeks in primary then straight to the bottle.

Conflicting advice love it :ban:

And that's the way it rolls. You can do it either way and still have damn good beer. A wheat typically isn't put in secondary, because you want more of that yeast to remain in suspension giving it the cloudy look typical of wheats. But it's your beer.

Some of us have gotten away from secondaries pretty much for everything except dry-hopping and additions of things like fruit, coffee, or wood. It works for us, but may not be the way you want to do it.

Back