Trying my hand at creating my own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i recently decided to buy BeerSmith and I am venturing out from the safe pre-fab extract kits that they have in the stores. What I am trying to create is a wheat IPA, similar to BraufactuM Indra.

I have looked it up and there are no clones out there nothing.
The closest thing I have found to a descriptor is the review, that I had to have translated from German. You can find the page at the bottom of my post.

Long story short:

Water, wheat malt (pale wheat malt, Weizencaramelmalz), barley malt (Vienna malt, caramel malt), hops (Cascade, Magnum), yeast

Are the ingredients, and I have no clue where to begin in terms of quanitiy, I started out with a weizen recipe they had, then i modified it to use the Cascade and Magnum hops, and I don't think that it will give me what I want. Can any one make any suggestions in terms of quantity's of stuff to buy or a recipe? I would post the recipe that I have created so far... but I only changed the hops on the Weizen.

Please help!

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.braufactum.de/Kollektion/Indra::15.html&ei=8io_T6j8KYb20gGzypi_Bw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDMQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbraufactum%2Bindra%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D976%26prmd%3Dimvns

I am unfamiliar with the commercial example, but I would imagine you would take either an IPA base or a wheat base and add what it was missing for the fusion. In the case of the IPA base, add an appreciable amount of wheat to the grain bill. In the case of the wheat base, hop the snot out of it. That's where I would start. Since it is your own brew, and it isn't really going to fall into any style anyway, you have a bunch of flexibility! Have some fun.

I'll give it a stab...
50/50 wheat malt, barley malt. Enough to obtain midrange alcohol level of an IPA say 7%, then hopping to IPA IBU's. Probably something like an ounce or ounce and a half of magnum at 60 mins. Then 1 ounce or more of cascade at 30-20 mins, then a nice big finish of cascade at 5-0 mins, say an ounce. Enough to get your bittering to 70 or more. I don't have beersmith on this puter, but play around with it and you should get pretty close.
You could even dry hop once primary has finished as well to up the ante...
Oh, btw, last sunday I did this beer as a partial mash on my stovetop,,,but instead of cascade I ended up using citra as my flavor and aroma hops, and 3068 wyeast yeast.

Bighorn, I actually based my recipe off yours and the recipe, but I was converting it it lme. And then i got lost lol. Maybe i'm adventuring to quickly. but in like danger and i am 6 for 6

Hey, hurray for adventuring. The nice thing about an extract brew here is you can just pick up however much "wheat malt extract" you need to hit your OG. The balancing the different malts only comes in if you're doing all-grain or partial mashes.
Adding some flaked wheat (maybe 1 lb) would still be great for body, head retention, and flavor though.

So yeah, take an extract hefeweizen recipe, and hop the snot out of it. Bighorn's hop bill seems like a great start. Dry hop it with another 1-2 ounces of Cascade if you'd like, for even more of that characteristic aroma (basically chuck them in about a week before you bottle. Put 'em in a hop bag ideally, to keep it separate from the beer and avoid a bunch of hop particles in your bottles).

Latest posts

Back