How to transition from making other peoples recipes to making my own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 262070

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a newer brewer - have brewed maybe 15 - 5 gallon batches to date and have gotten pretty good at following a recipe. My SGs are looking good and have gotten to a point where I brew with relative consistency provided that I have a recipe.

What I ultimately want to start doing is start creating my own recipes. Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I couldn't find much on this. I have made minor modifications (mainly to hops and very minor grain modifications), but I feel kind of lost among the thousands of possible ingredients that I could be using. I don't find it difficult to figure out what an ingredient in a recipe is contributing to the batch while brewing, but I'm not sure I'd know where to begin if I was trying to create a saison beyond the base malt.

Is this something I need to just try and screw up a bunch of times, until I get it? Is there a resource out there that I can look to to better understand what different changes will do to my beer?

Thanks in advance

Start with a grain bill that's worked for you or you've seen work for others, and modify it. Substitute golden promise or maris otter for the 2 row, or do a 50/50 combo. Substitute in some different specialty grains and see where it gets you. It's still your recipe, even if you've used ideas from others.

Do some SMASH recipes in order to familiarize yourself with what the ingredients bring to the table.

I generally don't sit down and just start pulling random ingredients into a recipe. Depending on what style I'm going for I know what might work either from experience or reading about others experience, and go from there. If you've done 15 batches you probably have a solid grasp on what grain bills work as well.

SMaSH recipes are a great way to get started on this journey - you'll get a solid foundation on what a specific malt, hop, and yeast strain bring to the table. from here a SMaSH +1 approach would add a second malt or hop to the equation so you can get a feel for how the addition impacts, and at what percentage is best for your taste

if you don't already, get yourself a software tool like Beersmith, Brewer's Friend, etc ... and add your favorite recipes into them so you can see the grain ratios and hop IBU contributions. then, with a little bit of study on styles, you'll be able to start a recipe of your own utilizing similar percentages/IBUs but with different ingredients (ex: use a 50/50 mix of Pale and Maris Otter to make the 95% 2-row, and a mix of 3% 10L and 2% 30L Crystal in place of 5% 20L)

in addition to the software, I'd recommend Palmer's book on brewing and the Hops/Yeast/Malt/Water series if you're wanting to get an understanding of the whats/whys beyond simply hands-on experience from experimenting on your own

There are good books out there that will help. Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels is one that I have. It will give you a good understanding of the way ingredients work together.

I started by taking proven recipes then altering them. After a while you get a feel for what different ingredients add.

Unless you go way off the wall, you should not "screw up" any beers.

Mostly base grains, or extract. Then crystal and specialty grains in small amounts to add flavor, the hops to your liking. You will get some that you like more than others - expand on the good ones.

I use online malt an hop substitution guides. Do a search for them and bookmark them for reference.

Then use a good recipe building software. I use Beersmith 3, others like Brewer's Friend. These are tools and you will need to learn how to use them properly, but stick with it and you will be brewing great beers from scratch in no time.

Experience for empirical knowledge of what ingredients do/taste like, and supplement with research on teh interwebs. You'll find a given style will have a "template" of grains/hops of sorts, so determine what you want out of a beer and go from there.

For example:
"I want to make a Stout like (pick your favorite commercial), but with less roasty flavor and more smokey flavor."
Do some research to get as close to the base beer you want, then start tweaking ingredients to get your desired target - in this case drop the roast and increase smoked malt.

SMaSH recipes are a great way to get started on this journey - you'll get a solid foundation on what a specific malt, hop, and yeast strain bring to the table. from here a SMaSH +1 approach would add a second malt or hop to the equation so you can get a feel for how the addition impacts, and at what percentage is best for your taste

if you don't already, get yourself a software tool like Beersmith, Brewer's Friend, etc ... and add your favorite recipes into them so you can see the grain ratios and hop IBU contributions. then, with a little bit of study on styles, you'll be able to start a recipe of your own utilizing similar percentages/IBUs but with different ingredients (ex: use a 50/50 mix of Pale and Maris Otter to make the 95% 2-row, and a mix of 3% 10L and 2% 30L Crystal in place of 5% 20L)

in addition to the software, I'd recommend Palmer's book on brewing and the Hops/Yeast/Malt/Water series if you're wanting to get an understanding of the whats/whys beyond simply hands-on experience from experimenting on your own

+1

For me its all about research (a Smash is a great way of doing this in isolation)

Know yourself and your likes/dislikes so that you can develop a recipe that you like based off something you've encountered - taking risks along the way

Brewing is akin to cooking, when in the comfort in of your own home, who cares what you make as long as you pay attention, learn and grow from what you are doing - practice will help you get better over time

I appreciate all of the feedback. SMaSH brewing makes a lot of sense for learning the fundamentals. Hard to see what all of the pieces are doing when you have 14 different ingredients. Was also thinking about trying to split a batch into two 3 gallon fermenters instead of a single 5 gallon and try different hops in each. That way I can use the same wort as a control and see the difference between them.

I have been using Brewers Friend and had success with it using other peoples recipes although I have had a recipe or 2 that I couldn't seem to get the same gravities as the author of the recipe, but have had them match the recipe when I made it. Just did a black IPA that was supposed to have an OG of 1.066 and FG was supposed to be 1.018. The OG was 1.068 which is close, but I am dry hopping today and found that the FG is already down to 1.013 with 3 days to go. The calculator doesn't seem to think it should be possible to get it below 1.020 with the volumes I'm using, OG and yeast attenuation, but it did somehow. Luckily it tastes very good. Not sure if I'm missing something in the calculator or if they are just natural difference or inconsistencies in my brewing.

I appreciate all of the feedback. SMaSH brewing makes a lot of sense for learning the fundamentals. Hard to see what all of the pieces are doing when you have 14 different ingredients. Was also thinking about trying to split a batch into two 3 gallon fermenters instead of a single 5 gallon and try different hops in each. That way I can use the same wort as a control and see the difference between them.

I have been using Brewers Friend and had success with it using other peoples recipes although I have had a recipe or 2 that I couldn't seem to get the same gravities as the author of the recipe, but have had them match the recipe when I made it. Just did a black IPA that was supposed to have an OG of 1.066 and FG was supposed to be 1.018. The OG was 1.068 which is close, but I am dry hopping today and found that the FG is already down to 1.013 with 3 days to go. The calculator doesn't seem to think it should be possible to get it below 1.020 with the volumes I'm using, OG and yeast attenuation, but it did somehow. Luckily it tastes very good. Not sure if I'm missing something in the calculator or if they are just natural difference or inconsistencies in my brewing.

I use brewersfriend, and generally like it. Did your actual mash temp match what you had listed as mash temp in the recipe? That will drive what it thinks your FG for the chosen yeast is going to be.

software fg is often a guestimate, depending on average yeast performance etc.

of course, if your mash was a few degrees lower than expected, it might account for more fermentable wort

I use brewersfriend, and generally like it. Did your actual mash temp match what you had listed as mash temp in the recipe? That will drive what it thinks your FG for the chosen yeast is going to be.

Yeah, I matched the mash temps very closely. I was gifted a Mash & Boil system a while ago that I use for mashing, sparging and boiling so you just plug in a set point and it will hit it for you. Used a recirc pump every 5 or 10 mins to keep the bottom from heating unevenly. Didn't know that was such a big factor in the calculation though. I played around with that a little and got the OG in the recipe to 1.065 and FG to 1.019, so I'm not far off.

What others have said here. Read, and try.

Try smash'es like others have said. And read a lot, a lot, and then some more, recipes from trusted sources about the beer style you want to brew, find the red thread, compose it, brew it, adjust to liking for the next try.

I will say that there are very few batches I have ever made from a recipe that I created "from scratch". Many of my core recipes started off from ingredient kits that I purchased. After a few iterations they changed a bit to meet my tastes ("this would be good if it was less roasty", "this might be good with some smoked malt", etc.).

If I am going to brew a beer to a style (or maybe similar to a commercial beer) 1) the style guidelines limit the choices and sets a ballpark recipe, and 2) there are so many recipes and so much information out there that it just does not make sense to not look them over for inspiration. For example, I just brewed a Porter. I did not have a documented recipe so I created a "new" recipe (keeping better records, with tasting notes is a resolution of mine). While I like to think I put my own spin on my Porter, the recipe pretty much looks like others (8 lb 2-row, 1 lb Victory, 1 lb Crystal 120, 8 oz Chocolate, 2 oz Goldings). I wanted more of a Robust Brown Ale than a Stout.

Even if you are brewing some thing "crazy", I am sure somebody else has posted about their "Raspberry Peanut Butter Sasion". About the only "from scratch" recipe that I think I have is an Imperial Rye Amber...but honestly the recipe is just a combination of some Amber and IPAs that I have brewed with some Rye added in.

I will admit, that I don't have as much knowledge about what all the different ingredients and their impacts as I would like. You could spend years brewing batches to try out all the different malts, yeasts, hops, etc. While this sounds interesting, I also just want to brew good beers to enjoy. I have a core set of grain, hops and yeast that I understand and use most often.

I will admit, that I don't have as much knowledge about what all the different ingredients and their impacts as I would like. You could spend years brewing batches to try out all the different malts, yeasts, hops, etc. While this sounds interesting, I also just want to brew good beers to enjoy. I have a core set of grain, hops and yeast that I understand and use most often.

I see what you mean. Definitely a let down when you spend a month brewing something and it isn't good. I'm not saying I want to never use a recipe again in my life, but just want better foresight into what different ingredients do, how I can expect it to turn out and how I could change the recipe to better suit what I want it to taste like. I appreciate the advice!

want better foresight into what different ingredients do, how I can expect it to turn out and how I could change the recipe to better suit what I want it to taste like

I hear you. Personally, I am in the process of acquiring some equipment to support both:

1) Small batch stove-top BIAB where I have more freedom to try out 14% Stouts, SMaSH beers, or Raspberry Peanut Butter Sasions. That way I don't have to brew 5 gallons of a pale ale to realize I don't like Azacca hops.

2) Fermentation and kegging to support split batches (different yeast, dry hopping technique, additives, etc.). There are some reasonable option for 3 gal or less fermenters. I just picked up a 2.6 gal keg...and I am trying to figure out if I want to spend the $$$ for a few more, get back into bottling, or figure out a cheap way to "keg" 1.0 to 2.5 gal of beer.

I am also working the kinks out of good ways to evaluate hops without having to actually brew beers...with the most promising being making a hop tea and spiking some malt liquor. It is something I want to try out at my homebrew club in the next month or two.

I do small 2.5 gallon BIAB batches with 3 gallon Better Bottles. I needed to scale down when I went all-grain in order to stay in the kitchen, and haven't yet had the motivation to go outside on my propane turkey fryer burner and do bigger grain batches. It is nice for testing out recipes. I've had a handful I wished I had more of but so far I've had quite a few recipes I'm ready to finish up and try something different by 2.5 gallons drunk.

Lately I've begun investigating completely closed transfers and fermenting/spunding in my 5 gallon corny kegs. The reason most people don't it is because they can't fit a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon corny but not an issue for small batch brewers.

OP - maybe small batches are an option for you if you're concerned with recipes not working out or disappointing you as you gain experience.

I liked the word "transition" in your subject line.

Some new brewers make the mistake of producing a beer with a ton of different ingredients, and when it doesn't turn out....what is the next move? "Transition" is a better approach, IMO.

[every once in a while we'll see a new brewer here--often with ONE brew under their belt--toss out a recipe they've made and they'd like to try. It's a coconut smoked oyster stout with lager overtones using munich malt and a couple pounds of 120L crystal in conjunction with California Lager yeast and 9 different hop varieties. I jest, of course....but not by much. :)]

Great advice above. Take an established recipe and tweak it....brew a SMASH....TASTE those ingredients before you brew with them.

Tasting is key here, IMO--you have to have some idea what you're trying to accomplish before diving in head first.

For your first try, brew something that's unique but not too far afield from something you've already brewed and liked. Tweaking established recipes is a great way to do that. Change something, see if you like it. Get a sense of what changing that ingredient did.

Remember that recipe is also process....high mash temp or low mash temp? Lots of mouthfeel or finish dry? This is also part of it.

I’ve brewed around 175 gallons or so in my three short years of brewing. I loved recipes so much I never bothered with getting back to the basics until now. My first SMaSH was a ten gallon batch; 20lbs 2-row, 3oz Citra at 60, 2 oz Citra at 30, and 1 oz Citra at 15 minute. I’ve
Brewed that three or four times now. For my next recipe I’ll add some crystal and zythos just to see how that changes things. It’s all about getting back to the basics and knowing what to add and when to add it.

You've got brewing experience (more than me it sounds) and you know by now (hopefully) what you like and what you don't. A lot of recipes start with a pretty basic and common list of grains and adjuncts. You could even try using the same grain bill from one recipe (a Hef for example,Like I did )and just change the yeast to Safale US-05,add some citrus zest and coriander. Boom, you have a Belgian Wit.
Beer in its most basic recipe is water, barley , hops and yeast. Add a few other things and you've got yourself something unique, maybe.
Know your intended volume and build your grain bill so you have the right amount of fermentables to make something in the 4.5 - 6% abv range. By now, you know what gravities to start with and what they should ferment out to , or close. Use a brew building calculator app. I still use the one from the LHBS I originally bought from , its on their web page .
Start with a simple 2 Row or Pilzener malt and play with the proportions of adding wheat ,start 50/50. add a hop you like . I found after listing the beers I do like ,I like Hallertauer in about 90% of them. Look into the other hops that are derived or hybridized by that same hops ,for more character, aroma or bittering qualities ,fruity notes, floral notes, spiciness and when to add each in your brew.
By now, you probably have a dedicated or maybe controlled fermentation area. Find a yeast that works well in your temperature range. Keep a few on hand. Dry yeast in their sealed packets last a long time in the fridge. So does hops if they're vacuum packed and in the fridge.
Brewing is science meets basic kitchen cooking.
start with a basic recipe and just tweak it. Substitute that 1 pound of wheat for a pound of rolled Oats, rice, or flaked corn or maybe...add a combination of 2 or all 3.
You got this.

Back