past posting of a 555 timer to control the heating element, where is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
I've gone back 25 pages on both the DIY and Equipment section and have not located this posting or a reply by another member.
Had it in my bier files that have been cleared out and not by me, pisser.
Anyone have that posting or reply so I can wire up a 555 timer? Thanks
in advance.

Was it used as a single-shot or with a varying duty cycle to control? 555s are pretty simple and most configurations are similar, just with different R/C values to change timing of pulses.
Can you give more info on the application?

Also might I recommend looking into an Arduino to control this? I've been working on a temperature controller using one. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to programming and I've still managed to piece together code that will probably work (haven't fully tested yet).

Was it used as a single-shot or with a varying duty cycle to control? 555s are pretty simple and most configurations are similar, just with different R/C values to change timing of pulses.
Can you give more info on the application?

I would want it to be a variable duty cycle from low as I can go to at least 80%, from there I can jumper the power supply directly to the unit I have in mind.
Please don't shoot me this is not a bier related project but as a variable pulsing unit used to flush forwards, backwards as well check the flow volumes and spray patterns for fuel injectors. I'm in the middle of a project changing from single spray nozzle to 4 hole injectors wanting not to only clean but make up a matched set of 8 that have a balanced flow volume of injectors. A smog test is needed next month. Question I have what is the minimum time in Ms a SSR can be switched at? I bet the 555 with go higher with the proper R/C added. I'm needing 1.5 to 2 Ms minimum in time to 80%, I can switch or jumper to 100% if not I must due with what's available. The flow volumes at the lower pulse width are what i'm after in balance as well the flows to 80% on pulse time and volume balance.
Thanks for the fast replies.

How many amps do you need through the SSR?

The smaller the current you'll be switching the more high speed options you will have....

How many amps do you need through the SSR?

The smaller the current you'll be switching the more high speed options you will have....

I believe in the 1 amp range, i've heard of 4 to 6 amp but again special 42# /hr racing injectors. I'm in the stock zone so 1-2 amps my maximum switching load at 24# an hour injectors.
To have 100% at 43.3 psi regulated pressure with a carb cleaner like Berrymans B-12 is great for cleaning in both directions but the flow measurements at reduced duty cycle are real life driving conditions. This is where the minimum flows from at idle to normal driving of balanced injectors play the biggest part in smooth running as well smog testing. This in a 95 landRover Discovery full time 4 x 4 hence no dyno just the sniff test so low duty cycles without a engine load. Balanced sets of injectors play a big part also, one flowing higher and richer then the O2 sensors will overly lean down that bank of cylinders with the other 3 injectors leaned down. I was thinking of the treadmill motor of 1 1/2 HP 90 VDC I have from 240 rpm's to 4,250 rpm's driving a old 8 cylinder distributor with a 0.005" point gap as a vary narrow and low duty cycle and vary the rpm's as a trigger to the injectors. I have a Burette tube to 100cc with 8 pin electronic brick timers for balance checking. You now see what i'm looking for in this testing project?

From the other posts it looks like you are trying to fire fuel injectors?, you might be able to trigger the 555's by inductive or capacitive pickup off the ignition wires. The fun part would be feeding the throttle position and manifold pressure to the timers for fuel flow control. Good luck with your adventure into 555 timer circuits.

From the other posts it looks like you are trying to fire fuel injectors?, you might be able to trigger the 555's by inductive or capacitive pickup off the ignition wires. The fun part would be feeding the throttle position and manifold pressure to the timers for fuel flow control. Good luck with your adventure into 555 timer circuits.

kladue; this with the now collection of 26 injectors from Pick N Pull on the work bench ready to be cleaned and tested. The original lucas single squirts are a POS vs 4 hole cone spray pattern replacements. Injectors are out of the vehicle as well the plenium, intake trumpets with their base plate. I fully removed the carbon in each intake runner down to the intake valve with each cylinders intake valve closed, the intake track filled full with Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner. After 20 minutes then a bore brush then siphoned out the dirty B-12. I again cleaned the runners with the engine degreaser gun with clean B-12 and a air blast. With a engine bore scope I can look down to the backside of the intake valves looking smooth like new as well the port runners all nice bright aluminum again. These Rover motors load up especially driven under 2 miles stop and go as a soccer vehicle the past 7 years 16 hours a day didn't help matters, this called hot soak carbon buildup. This way no carbon grit in the cylinders as well O2 and cat damage. This is not a stock motor but 5.2 liter vs 3.9 with cam, chip, porting and Borla exhaust with 5 speed. I'm an engine nut and builder. Sorry not on a bier topic but the 555 timer is related.

There was a group called "Harpo & Gipp" that had plans for an injector driver with variable pulse rates as well timers to fully clean and test your own injectors. Spray patterns, volumes as well volumes at reduced pulse rates, this was one great set of plans with instructions that I can not locate anymore on the net. Bummer big time as it was in my old computer that had a total HD failure without any backup disc ports with 8 years locked up inside.

Latest posts

Back