Cutting back hops for winter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadingzero

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a first year northern brewer vine growing in a container. It's dec and the plant is still doing really well and I live in San Francisco so our winters are generally mild. The information that I have read or heard on podcasts recommends to cut them back after every season. This plant has not flowered and I expected little out of it in the first year. When should I cut the vines back on this plant? Should I cut them back?
Thanks,
-leadingzero

I cut mine back last month. You should cut them back before it snows. Cover them with some mulch after you cut them back.

EDIT: Just saw where you live. Not sure how much snow you actually get in San Fran (once every few decades maybe). Someone may be able to answer this better that may live in a similar climate. Sorry for the misinformation.

I cut mine back last month. You should cut them back before it snows. Cover them with some mulch after you cut them back.

EDIT: Just saw where you live. Not sure how much snow you actually get in San Fran (once every few decades maybe). Someone may be able to answer this better that may live in a similar climate. Sorry for the misinformation.

We had snow last year! It snowed one day and the daytime temps were 39 degrees. It was freezing and the snow was only in higher elevations! Anyway, thanks for the info even though it doesn't relate to my situation. You would recommend putting mulch on a container plant?

No my Hops are in the ground outside. We get plenty of snowfall (had a storm with over a foot last winter and sometimes over 2) and way below freezing temps every year. I read that keeping them above ground with possible temps like that could kill the plants, so I opted to plant them in the ground. Although I have heard some successful stories of potted bines.

No my Hops are in the ground outside. We get plenty of snowfall (had a storm with over a foot last winter and sometimes over 2) and way below freezing temps every year. I read that keeping them above ground with possible temps like that could kill the plants, so I opted to plant them in the ground. Although I have heard some successful stories of potted bines.

Thanks! I think I got all the information I need from this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/chopping-winter-198696/

I guess i will just let them die back. The rainy season is on our doorstep here is the bay area and that means a lot of clouds and rain so I think the lack of sun will cause them to die back for the winter. Although, we're in La Nina winter so the prediction is for less rain this season. We'll see? Thanks again,
-leadingzero

yes let them die back naturally if you try to cut them back before they have gone to "rest" you will encourage them to start growing vs go into the dormant stage..

I will let them die. The vines started budding and have more buds on the plant then i can count? Do you think i will have get some hops off the plant? It's starting to get cloudy and rainy on a regular basis here so I think they will die back from lack of sun. Thanks,
-leadingzero

yes let them die back naturally if you try to cut them back before they have gone to "rest" you will encourage them to start growing vs go into the dormant stage..

Should I stop watering the plant? I just got a hand full of hops that I through in my nut brown that I was brewing on Monday. I know it won't impart anything to the brew I just did it for kicks.

The plant is still growing and it's going to be 60 and sunny all next week. Should I continue my watering schedule or just stop completely? Thanks,

-leadingzero

Should I stop watering the plant? I just got a hand full of hops that I through in my nut brown that I was brewing on Monday. I know it won't impart anything to the brew I just did it for kicks.

The plant is still growing and it's going to be 60 and sunny all next week. Should I continue my watering schedule or just stop completely? Thanks,

-leadingzero

I am in the Bay Area also, I would stop watering as that's what I did, we are getting enough rain fall so it wont matter.

I am in the Bay Area also, I would stop watering as that's what I did, we are getting enough rain fall so it wont matter.

Thanks Thantos, I will stop thinking about it and let nature take it's course. Just out of curiosity what varieties are you growing and how was your success? Thanks,
-leadingzero

Latest posts

Back