Flexible Yeast Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poguemahone

Reaction score
I know there is probably a simple answer for this question but I'll ask anyways.

Inevitably I end up tossing my yeast cakes every time I transfer. The biggest reason reason has been because I've been jumping between styles over the past year - stouts, belgiums, a lager and some heffes. I took a 10 year break in brewing and needed to get my feet wet again.

Is there a simple rule of thumb that would allow me to keep using my existing yeast cake without having to make the exact same style beer? Is it as easy as start out strong and end up light?

Additionally I'd like to start harvesting and keeping my yeast for future brews. I know there are plenty of threads on here about that but any recommendations on a good strain that is flexible? I prefer belgiums and stuff that does better at warmer temps though as we get into winter I can start doing cooler fermenting brews.

Best bet really, plan a couple in advance. If you are brewing a stout, use irish ale yeast and do a red next. WLP001, 002, and most dry yeast are able to do plenty of different styles from pale ales to porters. Just a little planning will go a long way in yeast reuse.

i'm thinking of going from my irish red, to a brown, to a stout :) the irish ale yeast i'm using would work perfect for all three.

supposedly, it's best to go from something lighter to something darker and something lower gravity to something higher

i may wash it, tho, instead of just dumping it on the cake...we'll see how lazy i am in a couple of weeks :D

search "washing yeast" in the wiki. good info.

also here's a link in the wiki straight to using the yeast cake:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Pitching_the_Yeast#Yeast_Cakes

:mug:

Latest posts

Back