bought a house...time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
I knew it would happened once i tried my hand at a sour ale. October 4, 2011 i took 6 750 mls of a belgian dark strong that finished a little sweet and split it in to two 1 gallon growlers, split a packet of Roselare Blend and let it go. Awhile latter i added Jolly Pumpkin dregs to one and Russian River dregs to the other and some french oak cubes that had soaked in pinot noir for a bit.

I posted a thread about this awhile ago. People were pretty divided about whether or not it was worth it. Regardless, it's been going and i'm excited to see how it turns out.

The wife and i are in the process of buying a home. at this rate, we will be in the house as early as the end of may. Is 7 months a long enough time to bottle this thing? I feel like it's kind of early but i don't know if i can move them without disturbing the bugs. bottle it or try to move it and let it ride?

lol, I have no answers but I find the topic funny. My fiance is looking at going back for her PhD and this will cause us to relocate. It might not be until Fall 2013 but, the other day she walked through the hall where I keep my sour carboys and she says," you know you can't brew any more sours right?" Not even going to try to haul full carboys at the least, 6 1/2 hours away. Going to brew the last tomorrow morning. and then back to normal brews for a year or two.

I regret not brewing up a few sours and barley wines to sit patiently in waiting while I took an expat assignment in China. I do have about a half dozen different commercial barley wines sitting in the basement.

As for yours, Take a gravity reading and decide from there. Or better yet, decide with a taste. Gallon jugs wouldn't be too difficult to move.

I agree with Quaker, take a gravity reading and decide form there. But really, moving a 1 gallon jug shouldnt be too difficult, youd rather not shake them up too much but if they arent done you may not have a choice.

If they are in the single digits you might think about bottling in thick walled Belgian bottles and accounting for whatever attenuation you may get when figured your priming sugar.

Yeah i realized moving the jugs isn't the most difficult thing in the world. I'll have to get a sample of both of the jugs to see how they are coming along (they might be just a failure after all).

The upside is the new place has loads of space for all kinds of carboys!

Back