Sanitizing dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my first dry hop, and I just want to throw the hops in for the last 2 weeks in the primary. Should I sanitize the pellets by putting them in a solution of water and crushed campden tablet the day before?

What about home grown hops? My hops have been subject to all sorts of dust and contamination during this season of growth. They were grown organically, so they are not completely free of pests, namely spiderwebs. I am planning an ipa that will be heavily dry hopped. Do I need to sanitize my hops?

I personally would take your whole grown hops and vacuum seal them. Then place them in the in the freezer for a couple of days. At that point I would be satisfied.
OR
Take the whole grown hops and a little water (1 or 2 cups) and make a hop tea by boiling them. Then add the Hops+Tea water to the secondary.
OR
You could put a little water(2 to 4 table spoons) in the bottom of a pan, bring it to a boil, toss your hops in and put a lid on top and steam for a minute. Then add what water is left and the fresh hops to the secondary/primary.
OR
Take a Quality Vodka and put your hops in a shallow dish and cover with vodka. Let soak for a day or so. Then add the Hops + the vodka to the secondary. (Remember you'll be increasing the alcohol content).

I've probably left out another method I've used...but this should work for you.

What about home grown hops? My hops have been subject to all sorts of dust and contamination during this season of growth. They were grown organically, so they are not completely free of pests, namely spiderwebs. I am planning an ipa that will be heavily dry hopped. Do I need to sanitize my hops?

I just threw mine in. There doesnt seem to be issues so far.

Thanks for the advice. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on this topic with the number of brewers that grow their own hops.

Could I soak them in a little star san for a min and then toss them in the secondary? I'm trying to avoid boiling or subjecting them to too much heat so I may retain the most hop aroma. I am paranoid about infection because I've had those problems in the past.

Thanks!

Could I soak them in a little star san for a min and then toss them in the secondary? I'm trying to avoid boiling or subjecting them to too much heat so I may retain the most hop aroma. I am paranoid about infection because I've had those problems in the past.

That's why I was asking about the campden tablets. Maybe crush 1/2 tablet and add it to hops that have enough water just to cover it, and let it sit for 24 hours?

Please don't soak your hops in Star San! I almost had a heart attack! Hops, from my understanding are naturally antiseptic, plus the added bonus of microbes not surviving being frozen (if you freeze your hops like most people). I have never heard of an infection from dry hopping

Thanks for the advice. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on this topic with the number of brewers that grow their own hops.

My $.02 is it's not a more discussed topic because it simply is a non issue. Have you ever seen what hops go through between the time the vines are cut and they get to your LHBS? They aren't processed in a clean room or anything. Homegrown/Commercially grown, there's not really a whole lot of difference there, just the scale of the operation. At the point in the process we are using hops for dry hopping there are several factors allowing the process to work without issue.

RDWHAHB...It really is that easy.

:mug:

My $.02 is it's not a more discussed topic because it simply is a non issue. Have you ever seen what hops go through between the time the vines are cut and they get to your LHBS? They aren't processed in a clean room or anything. Homegrown/Commercially grown, there's not really a whole lot of difference there, just the scale of the operation. At the point in the process we are using hops for dry hopping there are several factors allowing the process to work without issue.

RDWHAHB...It really is that easy.

:mug:

+1 for sure.

Good to know. I was a little sketched out because while I was harvesting them I had the bine laid down on my porch. My dog and cat are all over that porch. Just seemed weird.

Thanks for the reassurance. I just finished brewing my first all grain with the help of my girlfriend and brother. We think it went well. Im glad I don't need to worry about any hop issues.

btw....wtf does RDWHAHB mean?

There is some concern with contamination during DHing. The pros say not to dry hop until a week or so after fermentation to let the alcohol build enough to kill what bacteria will be present in the hops(because there is always bacteria and natural fungi on everything.)

Thanks!

You don't need to do a thing other than put them in the beer. I've dry hopped dozens of batches with home grown hops and neveer gotten an infection from them. Please, be nice to your hops.....

There is some concern with contamination during DHing. The pros say not to dry hop until a week or so after fermentation to let the alcohol build enough to kill what bacteria will be present in the hops(because there is always bacteria and natural fungi on everything.)

You don't want to dry hop any earlier, anyway, since the aroma would get blown out by the fermentation. By the time you're ready to dry hop, you have alcohol, and more importantly a low pH in the beer, to protect you.

Back