growing hops near a walnut tree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
I have read that you need a lot of light for your hops plants. I have also heard that a black walnut has some kind of built in herbicide it releases.

Since My walnut tree is in an area that would be ideal for a hops plant I was wondering if anyone has grown a hops plant near a walnut tree and had good or bad results?

My black walnut tree is only 3 feet tall, but these folks seem to have the goods. They say up to 80 feet from the trunk.

I have heard that about black walnut trees and did not think to much about it till now. i had two hop plants growing withing 10 feet of my black walnut tree and they did not get any sort of infestation. however the two that I grew away from the tree had aphid problems all summer long.

My black walnut tree is only 3 feet tall, but these folks seem to have the goods. They say up to 80 feet from the trunk.
Allelopathy can be a pain!!
The authors also mention in paragraph two that "Many trees, vines, shrubs, groundcovers, annuals and perennials will grow in close proximity to a walnut tree." So I wouldn't fret. I am a grad student in plant ecology and my adviser works with plant chemistry (and he homebrews)...I'll ask tomorrow and report back. I have some rhizomes coming and was planning on planting close to my neighbors black walnut tree so this could be very important.

As long as the plants are outside of the drip line of the Walnut tree, chances are you'll be OK. Plant vary in their sensitivity to the juglones. I don't see anyone has tested hops though. Last year we took down a large black walnut tree in our front yard that was seriously limiting our gardening options. There was (is) an apple tree just outside the the drip line that was doing OK. That reminds me, I need to go out and prune the apple tree.

The richer the soil, the less of a problem as microbes in the soil will break down the offending compounds

I think the leaves contain it (juglone) as well. I have seen the effect of this first hand with an area of my garden. I didn't notice the small Walnut tree growing just outside the fence, but the area closest to it was always stunted. So I cut it down. As pjj2ba and david's article mention, some plants have a higher susceptibility to juglones than others, it may be that hops can live close to a Walnut, or it might die.

I have a pretty large walnut tree. The reason why I thought about putting the hops by it is currently the area beneath the tree is over run with weeds, growing vines, and a couple of ornamental bushes.
I was hoping to put the hops there not only to use the tree as a anchor for a climbing rope, but it would also force me to keep the area cleaned up and mowed.
I did try to transplant a silver maple seedling that was about 3 foot tall and it didnt do so well near the walnut tree. But that tree is on the list of plants that dont do so well near the walnut tree.
I was planning on clearing the area out and using the treated lumber and making a square area of raised soil. Maybe that will help the hops if it is sensitive.

The word from my adviser is that he would be more concerned with the shading by the walnut tree than the juglones. Either way it sounds like it would be best to stay away from them.

Thats funny. My walnut tree is the first to lose its leaves in the fall and the last to get its leaves in the spring. Half the time I think its dead cause it never has leaves. Than I run over 100s of walnuts with my lawn mower and sprang my ankle walking in my yard and remember its still alive. :p

As long as the plants are outside of the drip line of the Walnut tree, chances are you'll be OK. Plant vary in their sensitivity to the juglones. I don't see anyone has tested hops though. Last year we took down a large black walnut tree in our front yard that was seriously limiting our gardening options. There was (is) an apple tree just outside the the drip line that was doing OK. That reminds me, I need to go out and prune the apple tree.

The richer the soil, the less of a problem as microbes in the soil will break down the offending compounds

The root system of a mature tree extends 2 to 3 time the radius of the drip line so if the plant is sensitive you will need alot more distance. However not all plants are sensitive. I think if you are close enough to the tree to use it as part of your trellis the hops will have too much shade. Plant a couple on the south side of the canopy and build a free standing trellis. They may do well they may be severely stunted. Sounds like you will need to experiment.

Black walnuts are one of the hardest and roughest nuts. My parents have a huge Walnut growing in the front yard. I remember hitting the occasional nut with the mower. Its about as bad as hitting a rock. And you learned real quick to never walk in that area with bare feet. It hurts real bad to step on a nut hidden in the grass.

Craig

Any other info regarding growing hops near a walnut tree? I would love to purchase a few hop rhizomes to plant this spring, but my yard is essentially ringed by black walnut trees. I have a nice area that gets direct sunlight most of the day, but I'm pretty sure it is within the juglone "zone of death" of a few walnut trees.

I grew my first year cascade hops last year within 15 feet of a black walnut. The trunk is about 3 foot in diameter. My cascade did very well. I had 3 bines total that got to about 20 ft.
The hops were close enough to the tree that I had to cut one branch down that I was afraid might start shading my plant.
I had more problems with those damn Japanese beetles. :)

A fellow hop grower / homebrewer friend of mine had some experience with a black walnut tree and hops. Here is what he told me (he has 20+ hop plants and they do well):

"The tree was planted in about 1993 or 94 and was 20 plus feet tall when I cut it down. The Trunk was about maybe 15 feet from my first hop plant - each hop plant was 4 or 5 feet further away. The first year I planted Hops the plant closest to the Black Walnut didn't do very well but at the time I didn't know about the Black Walnut issue. The tree canopy did not reach all the way to the hops plant but who knows about the roots. I since have read that the leaves and other things that fall from the tree have the same poison in them but the roots are worse.

The next year the Hops plant further away grew pretty well but this was the second year so should have done alright. The third year this second plant didn't thrive as much as the previous year and the third Hop plant sort of stalled too compared to the fourth plant in line. And of course the Black Walnut trees canopy was expanding each year so I started to cut it back to keep the longest branches from touching the Hop trellis.

This past summer I just decided to get rid of the Tree. I cut the tree down but did not remove the stump yet - and may not. This year I plan to dig up a couple of feet of dirt where these first 2 or 3 hops plants are and replace the dirt with clean soil and see how the plants do."

He is very good at growing hops and brewing beer/ales, so he knows what he is talking about. I hope this helps.

I have about 5 black walnuts I have been wanting to lopp for some time. I swear these things grow like weeds!

Well I think I found a place in my backyard that should be walnut free. I initially didn't want to build a hop trellis there since it's right outside my bedroom window, but I think that is going to end up being the best option, as there are no walnut trees in the near vicinity and it is south facing which should be ideal. Thanks for all the input.

Oh ya, here's an email (and reply back) I sent to freshhops, not much help I'm afraid, lol:

I am not sure as this is the first time someone has asked. As you know many plants will not grow around Black Walnut so give it a try this Spring and let me know.

Dave Wills
Freshops

On Dec 26, 2009, at 8:37 AM, I wrote:

> message: Hello,Do you have any information regarding hop plants and
> black walnut tree juglone? I would like to get some rhizomes and start
> growing some hop plants next spring, but I am concerned that the black
> walnut trees in my yard may effect their growth.
> Unfortunately, I have black walnut trees placed randomly throughout my
> yard, so I'm afraid I won't be able to grow any hops if the juglones
> proves to be detrimental to the hop plant.Thanks for any info.
>

I have 8 bines growing within 20 feet of a neighbors black walnut tree that I started last year. The Hallertauer and Cascade grew ferociously both this year and last, but the Magnum and Willamette didn't fair so well. I attribute the latter more to poor soil drainage than anything else.

And before anyone starts sharpening their axe, it should be noted that the roots of the black walnut are the most toxic and can continue to release juglone into the soil for years after the walnut tree has died.

-Tom

Back