Anyone use a drill press on a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I have access to a large drill press and was thinking about using it to drill my keggle. I have used it to drill stainless before with no problems. Does the fact that it is rounded make a difference? What would happen if I just used a regular bit? I can lower the rpm's down to as low as 80. Anyone have any experience with this?

Ya a drill press would work just fine as long as the keg is secured well and wont move on you. Yes any HSS or titanium coated bit should do the trick. Just drill a smaller pilot hole first. I just used a small 9v cordless drill with a titanium coated step bit and a pilot hole and that worked just fine. Just make sure to use cutting oil or some other type of lubricant so as not to burn up your bits.

If you have a big enough vise to secure the keggle then go for it
If not i would recomend a hand drill sinse that makes it less likely to be attaked by a spinning keggle

I used my drill press to put a whole for weldless fitting on my 40qt aluminum pot.

Wasn't too bad holding the pot and drilling.

If you can add a stable plywood base to the drill press table and then use ratcheting straps to hold keggle in place it would be a lot easier. (wish I would have thought of that prior).

the vise is big enough, I already tried it. A ratchet strap might not be a bad idea though.

Make sure an use a step bit. They are designed for sheet metal and do a much better job. I drilled with a standard bit and it tends to bite and make an ugly hole. Unless you secure the keg VERY well, if a regular bit bites using a large drill press, you're going to damage something; the bit, the keg, the drill press or your face. In my case with a hand drill, it was chipping a $35 bit and making an oblong hole.

Go for it.

If he has access to a drill press that large, I'm pretty sure he probably has access to much higher grade tooling than most of us. A center punch to mark your start point really helps drilling on round stuff. Just be sure to use a bit of cutting oil and you will be fine.

Back