Lauter pipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
So what exactly is the poiint of these ghetto-fabulous pipes in a lauter tun? Wouldent it be easier to simply drain the water using the little spigot built into a cooler?

You need a way to strain the wort out of the mash. Just opening the spigot would result in a plugged drain. The same thing can be accomplished with an expanded metal false bottom.

Ahh I see, so what can a false bottom be made from? It would have to be made from a mesh of some sort that would not allow the grains to pass though.

The false bottom can be make from a variety of materials plastic, stainless steel.
I read where someone made 1 from 2 aluminum pizza screens pop rivited together with a screen inbetween and 4 each 1/2" cpvc couplers under it.

Also a number of people make manifolds out of copper pipe with holes drilled in it

depending if you want to fly or batch sparge

Cool, helps a lot,thanks. SO what size of cooler should I get? I am probably only going to to partial mashes at this point, but at some point I will want to take the plunge into all grain. Also what size of pot should I get, I thought about a keggle with a thermometer and spigot but they are a bit expensive.

For 5 gallon batches, partial mash, I would say 7 gallons would be ideal. It would be big enough to allow you to do some all grain batches and easily accomodate any degree of partial mashing.

From there, it's up to you. Most guys either go for 5 gallons or 10. Ten gallons will let you do any kind of beer you want in 5 gallons batches and most beers in a ten gallon batch. 5 will pretty much restrict you to partial mashing and All Grain with OG's starting below, oh I dunno, maybe 1.050 or so...

Of course, this is all just a ballpark. Some of it may be a misunderstanding on my part and, of course, everyone will have an exception or two to throw in.

I have a rectangular cooler, 56 quarts. I'm looking forward to doing English Batch sparging. Make my lighter beers and high gravity brews at the same time! :rockin:

Bobby_M said:
Don't forget the batch sparger's six dollar miracle, the stainless braid.

Amen to that - just finished building mine literally a few minutes ago:

10-gal_MLT_inside_small.jpg

Toot said:
For 5 gallon batches, partial mash, I would say 7 gallons would be ideal. It would be big enough to allow you to do some all grain batches and easily accomodate any degree of partial mashing.

From there, it's up to you. Most guys either go for 5 gallons or 10. Ten gallons will let you do any kind of beer you want in 5 gallons batches and most beers in a ten gallon batch. 5 will pretty much restrict you to partial mashing and All Grain with OG's starting below, oh I dunno, maybe 1.050 or so...

Of course, this is all just a ballpark. Some of it may be a misunderstanding on my part and, of course, everyone will have an exception or two to throw in.

I have a rectangular cooler, 56 quarts. I'm looking forward to doing English Batch sparging. Make my lighter beers and high gravity brews at the same time! :rockin:

Say I'm looking to brew something heavy (OG 1.060+), would a rectangular or cylindrical cooler be best? (I'll be batch sparging...)

Back