No activity in Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xt-lee

Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is my first post.

As usual with a beginner, we all have questions. I hope someone can unlock some of the mysteries to mine.

I have brewed 1 batch of Cooper's beer so far. All seemed well and the beer is now in bottles.

I started a second batch of beer using a Morgan's kit. Expiry date was August 2007 on the can. I cleaned and sterilized my equipment. I then heated up the Morgan's can in hot water. I poured the contents in my primary fermenter and added 4L of water. According to the instructions, they ask for hot water no higher than 75 degrees C. I then added an enhancer and stirred the mix. I then added the cold water and after the container was full, the corn sugar and stirred. I took a SG reading and it was 1,046. The temp of the mix was 25 C as per the instructions so I added the yeast and stirred.

It is now 8 hours later and I see no activity in the form of gas or bubbles. Is this normal?

The current temp of the Wort is 23 C.

8 hours is nothing. I wouldn't begin even getting a little worried until you see no activity after 48 hours. Then there might or might not be a problem. Keep us posted when this takes off. I'm sure it will soon and be just fine. There's no problems whatsoever with your temps.:mug:

xt-lee said:
Hello everybody, this is my first post.

As usual with a beginner, we all have questions. I hope someone can unlock some of the mysteries to mine.

I have brewed 1 batch of Cooper's beer so far. All seemed well and the beer is now in bottles.

I started a second batch of beer using a Morgan's kit. Expiry date was August 2007 on the can. I cleaned and sterilized my equipment. I then heated up the Morgan's can in hot water. I poured the contents in my primary fermenter and added 4L of water. According to the instructions, they ask for hot water no higher than 75 degrees C. I then added an enhancer and stirred the mix. I then added the cold water and after the container was full, the corn sugar and stirred. I took a SG reading and it was 1,046. The temp of the mix was 25 C as per the instructions so I added the yeast and stirred.

It is now 8 hours later and I see no activity in the form of gas or bubbles. Is this normal?

The current temp of the Wort is 23 C.

david_42 said:
Normal n00b question:D , normal answer as above.

Welcome to the WAIT.

LOL!:drunk:

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll keep you guys updated!

HAHAHA!:drunk:

I got up this morning and it was bubbling away! So, I guess it's going ok after all.

What would a good post be without pics eh?

wort-inside.JPG

I think, by far, the most common question that gets thrown into any newb post is the ol' "Is my beer ruined?" So far, I think I've seen ONE batch that I personally thought should be dumped in my time here, and that was the one that had glass in the wort. Every single other one has been at worst salvagable/drinkable, and at best perfectly fine.

Back