cold break questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
When you cold break the wort is it in the boiling pot? What temp should I strive for with ales? do I siphon to the secondary and leave the solids? can someone link me a good sight for these questions?

Looking to naturally help clear my beer, time is always a good one but looking for something else to help the process.

Sorry got a little crazy on the questions, they started flowing so I went with it.

The cold break happens with rapid chilling of the wort after boiling it. You turn off the heat, and get the wort to 70 degrees in 15-20 minutes if possible. A "good" cold break will look like globs. What it is coagulated protein that can contribute to chill haze possibly some other issues. If you use a kettle fining, like whirlfloc or Irish moss, it can really help precipitate that gunk out.

yes, the cold break occurs in the brew kettle; after the boil, you want to cool the wort as quickly as possible so the proteins and break matter in the wort solidify and drop out better. It's pretty nasty looking stuff, but when it drops the beer looks mighty tasty!

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction
This online book is a great start, you can siphon / rack the wort from the kettle to the primary fermentation vessel, or you can carefully pour it. You need to airate the wort once it is cold prior to pitching yeast. If you use a secondary or bottling bucket, rack with a little air contact as possible.

Back