Musslemans cider and clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
has anyone used musslemans apple cider and if so have you had any issues with clearing,
i'm making a batch of graff and used 4 gallons of musslemans cider and at 2.5 weeks it still really cloudy.

any suggestions?
secondary?
i used s-04 i did however ferment at the lower end of the temp range.
or am i just a panicking noob

I used some musselmans cider for my first batch of apfelwein back in September. It isnt clearing for me, but I was impatient and removed it from primary too soon and bottled it. I had it at room temp(about 68) for a month and then around 40 or so for a couple months, it is not clearing for me, but its starting to taste pretty good. Its not a chill haze either as I have a clear bottle at room temp atm and its still hazy. It is significantly clearer than the cider was originally though.

I have used musselmans in my apple wine and a batch of graff I currently have fermenting. I've never had any luck with it clearing, but I'm impatient and don't really care about clearity. The stuff is so cloudy to begin with, I doubt you will be able to get it crystal clear without some fining agents and a good amount of cold crashing.

My first cider batch was Musselmann's as well. It's about 2 weeks in bottle now, and doesn't appear to have cleared much. I rushed the batch because I was impatient, and it was cloudy when i bottled it. Like Mista Sparkle, however, mine is considerably clearer as wine than when it was still just juice.

I doubt mine will clear more than it already has and I wonder if Musselmann's will clear significantly in the absence of finings or a relatively long cycle of racking from brite tank to brite tank.

Same experience here-- 1 gallon Musselman's, 2lb dark brown sugar, and a cinnamon stick. Pitched the yeast on Labor Day, and on New Year's Day it still looks like a mud puddle after two rackings. But it tastes great. I kind of expected that would be the case and I actually planned this batch as a mulling cider, so I didn't particularly care whether it cleared or not. If you really want it clear, Super-Kleer will probably do the job in 24-48 hours.

thanks guys.
thats what i figured the graff taste great fermented out perfect. as far as hydro readings went. so i will continue with bottling.

if i cold crash it will there be enough yeast still to bottle carb?

here is a pic at 2 week mark, is that comparable to your results?

DSCF1235.jpg

Which Musselmans are you using?
I use the 100% premium not-from concentrate.
My graff has cleared out nicely and a hard cider and cherry-apple cyser with at are both crystal clear. But an Apple-Cinnamon Cyser is still pretty cloudy.
But I think I used some pectic enzyme in all but the Apple-Cinnamon.

@Rowdy: Not at all dissimilar. I got some more clearing (just checked) but is still a very similar color and clarity

@MartyB: I was using the not from concentrate cider as well. I didn't use any pectic enzyme - didn't have any handy. Good to know that it will help the pasteurized Musselmann's. Personally, cloudy is fine with me - this is for me & friends to enjoy.

Which Musselmans are you using?
I use the 100% premium not-from concentrate.
My graff has cleared out nicely and a hard cider and cherry-apple cyser with at are both crystal clear. But an Apple-Cinnamon Cyser is still pretty cloudy.
But I think I used some pectic enzyme in all but the Apple-Cinnamon.
i used the same 100% not from concentrate. i'm gonna give it a week and bottle. +1 on using pectic next time.. is it too late to try some?

@Rowdy: Not at all dissimilar. I got some more clearing (just checked) but is still a very similar color and clarity

@MartyB: I was using the not from concentrate cider as well. I didn't use any pectic enzyme - didn't have any handy. Good to know that it will help the pasteurized Musselmann's. Personally, cloudy is fine with me - this is for me & friends to enjoy.

sweet just wanted to know that i was on the right path and didnt do anything wrong, glad to hear i have similar results.
i also dont mind the haze either, but would rather have it clear if serving to anyone else..

it is now a little over 3 weeks and it has cleared quite a bit more, gone from 1.062 start to 1.014 2 week to 1.012 3 week.
so it is clearing quite a bit on its own. just needed more time. will post end results next week..

I've used Musselmann's cider for apfelwein & it cleared just fine. I used it to make a batch of graff & it's still cloudy after 6 weeks, I did add 2 tsp pectic enzyme. I figure it might just stay cloudy.

Back