Yeast Starter Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdillow

Reaction score
I read on here about running yeast starters for 2 to 3 days. I'd like to brew tonight though. Is there a big deal going with a 28 hour starter? It is an Octoberfest yeast for a lager.

Usually we let starters either get to high krausen, or ferment out fully before using the yeast. If you let it ferment fully, then you decant most of the spent wort and pitch the yeast cake in.

I usually make a starter ~1-2 days before the brew day just to be sure it's done it's job. I usually have enough flexibility to give the starter another day if it needs it...

Basically, if the starter has finished fermenting, you can use it at any time.

I think wyeast says on their website 12-24 hours for the propagator packs. I usually do 24 hours on all my starters, so 28 hours is probably perfect. I guess it makes a difference if you have it on a stir plate or not, but I'm sure you'll be just fine if it isn't anyway.

A 28 hour starter is better than no starter. My first brew I just used one smack-pack and I feel the yeast was strained way too much. It fermented ok but I did have a few off flavors...might as well blame me not using a starter. I just finished the same brew with a 2 day start and it made a world of difference. You'll still have more active yeast after one day than no making one at all.

Back