What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a huge turkey enchilada casserole for the family last night. It was so big I almost had to consult a structural engineer and pull a permit!

IMG-20131231-00638.jpg

Just pulled a boston butt off of the egg and made an apple cole slaw. On a potato roll it's heaven. It's sorta pork and sauerkraut so I hope it's still good luck.

Just pulled a boston butt off of the egg and made an apple cole slaw. On a potato roll it's heaven. It's sorta pork and sauerkraut so I hope it's still good luck.

Ha. Pork loin and kraut in the crock pot for dinner. Gonna smoke some wings here in a minute for the Rose Bowl.

Leftover focaccia , garlic and mozzarella cheese grilled. Haven't made the Mew Years dinner yet. Still up in the air.

Smoked pork is on the agenda as soon as the wind is completely died down. Hard to do this in winter in Michigan with a cheap electric smoker.

I didn't cook anything interesting this weekend. Well, technically this holiday at friend's house. I mixed some cream cheese, ham and green onions together for a ham and cheese ball and that's it.

My daughter loves chicken noodle soup, so we bought some noodles made nearby and are going to put them in some turkey stock I cooked up around Thanksgiving and add some carrots and celery. It will be the first time I've had turkey soup and the first time I've ever stripped a carcass down to bones. I fully expect to find some hard things in the soup!

It wasn't the weekend, but since my young one loves chicken noodle soup so much we bought some fancy "homemade" noodles and melted down the turkey stock I made at thanksgiving. I chopped some celery and carrots, added the noodles and a small amount of water and chicken bouillon to bring the liquid level up where it needed to be with all of those noodles. Seasoned with a bit of parsley and salt and pepper.

Man was it good! There was still too many noodles, but I'm not complaining.

Already over a week ago, but I made this for the wifey on Christmas night since she worked 12 hours on both Christmas eve and day...

I usually try to incorporate our homemade liquids, so used 1 tbsp of our dry white wine in the pasta dough (cheap Winexpert kit, great for cooking), steamed mussles in 1/2 cup of the wine, boiled the shrimp and pasta in 1 cup wine + water & kosher salt. The mussle juices/wine were then used in the pasta sauce by adding to sauteed garlic, shallots & butter, then reduced til it was a little thicker (also used some flour to thicken) and topped with fresh parsley.

Oh, and the steaks were 60 day aged and the salads were caesar w/ shrimp. This meal kicked ass. She was definitely surprised. :rockin:

IMG_7585.jpg

IMG_7601.jpg

IMG_7592.jpg

Already over a week ago, but I made this for the wifey on Christmas night since she worked 12 hours on both Christmas eve and day...

I usually try to incorporate our homemade liquids, so used 1 tbsp of our dry white wine in the pasta dough (cheap Winexpert kit, great for cooking), steamed mussles in 1/2 cup of the wine, boiled the shrimp and pasta in 1 cup wine + water & kosher salt. The mussle juices/wine were then used in the pasta sauce by adding to sauteed garlic, shallots & butter, then reduced til it was a little thicker (also used some flour to thicken) and topped with fresh parsley.

Oh, and the steaks were 60 day aged and the salads were caesar w/ shrimp. This meal kicked ass. She was definitely surprised. :rockin:

Jesus, dude... I don't swing that way, but now I want to marry you...

Oh wow. Let me know if your wife ever leaves you!

Love to catch up on this thread before dinner. Nothing fancy here tonight, just some tri-tip on the grill, microwave "baked" potatoes and some fresh broccoli with carrots, chopped garlic and sweet butter- in the microwave as well.

All I cooked today was wort..

I'm brain storming on something quick, easy, and delicious that I can cook for dinner tomorrow, but I'm not feeling inspired enough to come up with any ideas at this moment.

Stauffbier, one of my old easy favorites has become comfort food for my kids. Well there are two

Spaghetti with freshly copped garlic and crunched up fried bacon, some bitter salt and pepper. Parmesan cheese over it

The other is spaghetti again. Sauce is diced canned tomatoes, fresh copped gaic and Italian sausage meatballs and Garlic toast. Simple to make and puts a smile on there face

The comfort food my mom made was hugely simpler.

I have beer braised short ribs in a dutch oven in the oven at this very moment, which will be dinner Sunday evening.

Cooked up about 5 gallons of brunswick stew earlier, which is now frozen in quart bags for future meals.

Stauffbier, one of my old easy favorites has become comfort food for my kids. Well there are two

Spaghetti with freshly copped garlic and crunched up fried bacon, some bitter salt and pepper. Parmesan cheese over it

The other is spaghetti again. Sauce is diced canned tomatoes, fresh copped gaic and Italian sausage meatballs and Garlic toast. Simple to make and puts a smile on there face

The comfort food my mom made was hugely simpler.
Those both sound like delicious meals Dan. I used to make spaghetti often, but my daughter isn't a huge fan. I think I might have worn her out on it when she was little. Being a single, working dad I made it a lot. Like you say, it's quick and easy.

Today I have decided I'm going to grill some shrimp and kielbasa ( I always throw a kielbasa or two on the grill anytime I fire it up). I'm also going to grill up various veggies. I have a couple sweet potatoes left from the holidays that I will likely par cook and then finish on the grill as well.

I'm cooking down some leftover BBQ ribs for tacos. Mmmm smoky tacos...

I'm glad you're finally getting your taco fix! :)

One of my favorite easy suppers:
Sauté shallots, lemon zest, brown rice, garlic and thyme with butter in a heat proof dish until the rice smells nutty. Add chicken thighs to the dish along with the juice of two lemons. Almost cover all with chicken stock and bake for about an hour. Sometimes I add prosciutto to the sauté. The rice cooks with the chicken and its all yummy.

Back