Delaney Vienna Lager 2 - All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
I under pitched this batch, pitching at 6 million cells/ml instead of the recommended 12 million/ml
Mash at 150F for 75 minutes
No mashout

Pitch yeast at 68F February 4th (day1)
Primary @ 55 for 30 days
Diacetyl rest for 48 hours <70F February 21st (day 16)
Rack to secondary and cold crash @ 35F for 5 days

Input is welcome
OG measured at 1.044 @ 68F...I was under the influence, and forgot to mashout, and it was BIAB, so ~50% efficiency,

Caramel aroma is inappropriate for a Vienna Lager. I would sub the Carmel malt with Munich, but that's if your trying to stick with the style guidelines.

A little touch of crystal malt is fine in a vienna lager although I prefer mine with little or none. I'd drop the six-row as it doesn't really serve any purpose in the beer. I like to use a blend of vienna, munich, and pilsner malt to make up 95% + of my grist.

Caramel aroma is inappropriate for a Vienna Lager. I would sub the Carmel malt with Munich, but that's if your trying to stick with the style guidelines.

Yes I was hasty when I made this recipe, I would try it next time without malt that would impart caramel type flavours.

I also used a lager type which produces fruity aromas, which I now know is undesirable for this style of beer, after doing a bit of research

If I like the beer I will definitely try substituting 6 row for pilsen

Or just do a 100% Vienna malt beer (from a German Maltster), makes an excellent traditional (non-Mexican) Vienna Lager.

FG 1.008 @ 37 F

bottle condition at 55F for a carbonation volume of 3.0...accidentally made this a bit high

Latest posts

Back