noob question adding rum to a cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthboundagain

Reaction score
Ok all I have a few more questions before starting up my first batches of cider.

I was thinking about adding some Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, to one batch just to add some nice vanilla and spice flavor.

I do not want to overpower the cider though, just enough for a small taste boost, so my questions are;

How much rum should I add for a 1 gallon batch?

Should I add it during primary, secondary, or bottling?

Thanks in advance. :rockin:

I'd keep it under a couple shots, but have you considered making up your own spices?

In Radical Brewing there's a part in one chapter about adding spirits to batches. Take a measured portion and keep adding tiny bits to that portion to get what tastes good to you and then do the match for that portion vs. the entire batch.

Well, it kind of depends...

If you added too much rum too early in the process, you would kill the yeast. You could be left with something a tad sweet, but maybe too much rum.

If you added it later, the cider will have had a chance to ferment out all the way, and adding the rum could help stablize it.

My husband recently made a bourbon barrel porter... he soaked some oak cubes in bourbon, then added it all to his porter. Thing was, his porter really wasn't ready, and it kind of quit fermenting. I'm not even sure it will carb.

Thanks for the advice all, I guess I am being a bit paranoid since I am new to the game. I have thought about just adding my own spices, I am a decent cook, and have a great feel for going off taste. I promised myself I would have fun doing this and not turn it into a neurotic nightmare.

Back