brew set up question, full boil cfc indoor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartanchip

Reaction score
so i am able to do full 5+ gallon batches on my kitchen stove (yes we have a burner with a power boil setting and it will achieve a pretty good boil with 6 gallons in it.) i want to rig my kettle up with a ball valve, and also have a counterflow chiller.

questions:

1. is a weldless fitting the best way to go about the ball valve? (i am using an aluminum pot)

2. i am guessing that counterflow chilling is preferred to immersion chilling (just a guess due to the basic principals of the devices)

3. is it possible to attach a cfc to my kitchen sink? during the colder parts of the year where i am forced to be inside will i be able to use my cfc attached to the kitchen sink? (would this attachment be similar to the one that is used between an IC and a sink? i know that this attachment is sold everywhere)

i would like some advice on this because as of right now i am still brewing indoors but in the near future would also like to brew outside so i would like the option of brewing in either location, depending on the weather.

thanks and as always

brew on! :mug:

Sure you can. The only difference is the instead of immersing a chiller in the wort, it sits outside the wort. Simply run some tubing from your tap to the chiller and the output of your chiller to the drain. Gravity feed the wort from your boil kettle to your fermenter. If you don't already have one, a coupling and valve would be handy to have on your boil kettle. You can use a weldless setup as you suggested. The counterflow chiller will be more efficient than an immersion chiller IMHO.

I have a spigot on the kettle and use a CFC with no problems,
Don't know about weldless fittings. I've never used them.
The CFC is more difficult to clean and sanitize than an IC, but it works much faster than the IC I used to use. I wouldn't switch back to an IC
You need a kitchen sink to garder hose adapter. My IC used another adapter that screwed on to the garden hose adapter.
-a.

Back