Bottling/priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBrew

Reaction score
So I have a question.

I bottled about two weeks ago. My recipe called for the full 5 oz of priming sugar. Things seem to be going as expected but for one issue. When I bottled this beer was crystal clear but now there is a substantial amount of varying sized particulate in there.

Is this just excess dead yeast because I used too much sugar or do I have another problem?

Some details:
Starting gravity was 1.058
Final gravity was 1.011
Final volume at bottling was 4.75 or so, I got 52 bottles

Primary and secondary for 7 days each.

Bottled 2 weeks with 5.0 oz of priming sugar.

At bottling this tasted great. Opened one at two weeks and it was really sweet.

Thanks in advance.

Attenuation was pretty good if you got to an FG of 1.011, so it shouldn't be all that sweet. It may taste that way if you didn't use a lot of bittering hops, and if it isn't carbed up yet. The carbonation counters some of the sweetness.

With only one week in primary and another week in secondary, your beer most likely wouldn't have cleared completely. And if you got 52 bottles, you may have siphoned a bit too close and sucked up some of what did settle out. I normally aimed for 50 or 51 bottles, sacrificing some to avoid excessive sediment pickup.

Many people these days skip secondary, and just leave it in primary for 3 or 4 weeks before bottling. It'll clear better that way.

I don't think you have a problem. Depending on the style, that's not too much sugar. The floaties will settle out. Pour into a glass carefully when you drink it and stop at the last 1/2 ounce when the sediment starts to show. That'll make it clearer in the glass too. Many people are sensitive to the high amounts of yeast in homebrew until their digestive systems adjust.

Wait at least 3 weeks after bottling, but preferably 4 or even 5 if you can stand it, before you pass judgment. The beer will continue to improve for a couple of months or more, depending on the style, and it will hold for quite a while when it hits its peak.

Thanks for the replies.

It wasnt sweet after secondary but it was after the priming sugar was added, which is why I thought I added too much.

The floaties are acctually settled out already but if I even so much as pick a bottle up they go flyin', and they look kinda gross tbh.

I didnt mean to imply that there was nothing floating in my beer when I bottled but it was so damn little that you couldn't see it unless you tipped them over to get the beer inside moving around and even then it was just barely.

Now when i pick up a bottle there is a substantial amount of sludge on the bottom of the bottle and when i tip them over to mover the beer about there is a massive cloud of settled particles that float around and back down quickly.

I guess my worry is that there was nothing like this settled on the bottom a week ago and now there is a ton of it. At 1 week there was some now at 2 weeks there is a lot more.

Hopefully you are right and its nothing but these increasing numbers of floaties is scary.

Well home brew involves bottle conditioning. This means the yeast reproduce when you introduce more sugar at bottling. You are seeing the additional yeast. They can be easily disturbed with movement. Perfectly normal I assure you.

After they are fully carbed by week 3 or 4, put some in the fridge for a few days. That should help drop them all to the bottom (and absorb more CO2 into solution). If you are careful to pour slowly using the bottle shoulder to capture yeast, the beer in your glass will be really clear.

Ok Thanks. I guess I just needed some re-assurance that I didn't destroy my beer. Haven't been at this long and I guess I am getting the jitters. I will wait the perscribed 30 days for this to finish before I shed any tears.

:)

Latest posts

Back