Tried to mix honey with blender, wife not happy . .. .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I pretty quickly (< 30 seconds) burned out our blender.
I poured too much honey in the blender before adding the apple juice for my cyser.
The blades just spun around in the honey portion and didn't mix it and the apple juice together.
I guess the honey was so thick it just burned out the motor.

Now I know :cross:

GI_Joe_Flint-Magnet.jpg

And knowing is half the battle....

:mug:

I pretty quickly (< 30 seconds) burned out our blender.
I poured too much honey in the blender before adding the apple juice for my cyser.
The blades just spun around in the honey portion and didn't mix it and the apple juice together.
I guess the honey was so thick it just burned out the motor.

Now I know :cross:

If your blender couldn't handle honey, how would it handle crushed ice? I think it was time for a new blender.

Craig

Maybe, but crushed ice has never been a problem. The honey was pretty thick, not warm.

Love them GI Joes. I grew up watching them every day after school.

Time for a new blender, try a higher end model this time. Those walmart specials burn out real easy, I found that out the hard way too. Cuisinart works well enough for me. Regards, GF.

Maybe you should have added honey to the apple juice, and not the other way around.

Yes, add the juice first. Personally I wouldn't use a blender. I would use a pan on the stove. Heat up the juice first, at least to warm it. When you mix in the honey it will be come softer and plyable with the heat. Many people here will say, "Don't Boil honey!!" and I do agree. I am not advocating to boil. Certainly the honey wont be hurt with a little heat. Many times the honey packaging plant will heat the honey to filter it out. A temp of under 100 degrees is just fine and it will help desolve into the apple juice. If the temp is low enough, under 120 degrees then the wild yeasts wont be hurt too much, if you wish to preserve the original yeasts. I never use honey in the blender.

I like the idea of airating as you mix. I'll probably try this again before I throw away the box and receipt for my new blender.

I'll spend some good cash for a nice blender (the one I burned up was an el cheapo wedding gift from 2001 I think).

I like the idea of airating as you mix. I'll probably try this again before I throw away the box and receipt for my new blender.

I'll spend some good cash for a nice blender (the one I burned up was an el cheapo wedding gift from 2001 I think).

I use a blender to mix/areate my ingredients for all my meads/melomels, it works great! I've found that adding juice/water 1st & honey after it's going works, but is a real PITA when using bulk honey. I've warmed juice in the microwave to help mix, and that does help, it also brings up the must temp slowly & easily.

I've found that for my blender, about 1.5 - 2lbs. honey at a time (with juice/water) is about the max the motor can handle. I have a big ladle that holds about 1.2lbs honey & it's easier to deal with the bulk honey that way.Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.

Back