Need suggestions for next brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbethenstein

Reaction score
Help! I don't know what to brew next!

My issue is that we don't drink as much as I like to brew. Also I'm a little picky about beers. I don't deal well with bitterness, so ipa's are out. I love most wheats, but my last Weiss was fantastic one week, then horrible two weeks later. I made a few adjustments to my process for the next one, as the recipe is good. It just went down hill too fast! I have 10 left I couldn't drink... I think they'll be good for beer brats.

So really I'm looking for a style that is smooth, full of flavor, low in bitterness, not too high in alcohol and ages extremely well. I don't have the ability to lager yet, so it must be an ale. Color does not matter, as long as it is not too harsh on the palate.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

How about a light belgian blonde. I recently did one that is only 5.1%. Very easy to drink.

american wheats are pretty tasty...and can be as hoppy as you like to make them

i've been using different yeasts to come up with different amer. wheats...tasty research!

heferly said:
american wheats are pretty tasty...and can be as hoppy as you like to make them

i've been using different yeasts to come up with different amer. wheats...tasty research!

Yes, but do they age well? That's most of my concern.

My next hefe will be ready to begin tasting by Friday. Bottled last Saturday.

So I did a little research into bjcp styles and I think I might like a southern English brown ale. At least based on the description. Do they age well? And is there a good commercial example of one I could find to try?

depends on how long you're 'aging' (the amer. wheats) for...if you can't get around to drinking them for a year, i'd say no...but i don't think months would be a problem if your process is solid.

scottish ales are good to age, and have a good range of abv%

Samuel Smith Nut Brown should be pretty widely available, but I think it is a northern style.

Lately I have been on an amber ale kick. The last one I did aged really well, the older it got the more of a caramel flavor it seemed to grow. My coors light guzzling she beast of a mother in law even liked it. She said it tasted like beer and candy.

Questions about southern brown ales? In the bjcp guidelines it says it's mild version of a sweet stout or a sweet version of a dark mild. Is the sweetness derived from higher level of dextrins in the various crystal malts usually in the recipe? Or can lactose be added? Is lactose out of style for a southern English brown?

Make the biggest, strongest beer you possibly can with your equipment. See just how much you can eke out of your system.

Saison! They were originally brewed to last over summer and thirst quenching so it'll last and not be too bitter or anything.

I was thinking something like a Scottish 80 Shilling or something to the like.... Flavorful ales, age well, smooth, not bitter, you can choose your alcohol level and just call it a 60 or 70 or whereever you end up. I just brewed my first and I'm digging it....

How about a Hoppy Pilsner? I am going to brew a hoppy Pilsner (session strength) with all the hops in the last 25 minutes, giving me low bitter and high flavor/aroma.

I was thinking something like a Scottish 80 Shilling or something to the like.... Flavorful ales, age well, smooth, not bitter, you can choose your alcohol level and just call it a 60 or 70 or whereever you end up. I just brewed my first and I'm digging it....

+1 there. Scottish ale has pretty much what you said you said you were looking for, low bitterness, easy drinking, ages well. I'd go for a 70 or 80/- as they tend to be more malt forward.

Back