Kolsch recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pashley

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking to brew a nice light Kolsch for easy summer drinking. Anyone have any tried and true recipes? Also, any particularities in the brewing process for this type of beer? I know I need a liquid yeast (and probably a starter) and I've heard a lower fermentation temp is best, but I wanted to ask you guys who have done this style before. Thanks in advance for the help!

i got a real easy all grain one.

8.5 lbs Pilsner
.5 lbs Munich

1.5 oz Tettnang(4.5% aa) 60 minutes
.5 oz Tettnang 10 min

i also use white labs german kolsch yeast, wlp029 and ferment at 60-62.

at 75% effeciency its right around 4.8 abv, and real light. also, the first time i brewed it i only did a 60 minute boil and got alot of dms, so deff do a 90. i would even do a 90 minute boil if using pilner extract, had problems in the past with it. hope this helps man

I just brewed this one up, but haven't kegged it yet so I can't say. Hydro samples have me really excited though. Pretty much can't go wrong with Ed's recipes.

I go with 85% to 95% pils with remainder using munich or vienna and, optionally a bit of wheat. For hops, I go with any Noble hops at about 20 to 25 IBU: near all at the bittering addition with a small flavor addition. IMO, the individual variety of Noble hops isn't terribly important. I prefer the WY strain over the WL strain for yeast, but that a personal preference.

Ferment down to 60 to 62 or as cool as conditions allow. I like to rack to a brite tank, cool for 24 hours, add gelatin and let it sit for 4 or 5 days, before transfer to a serving keg.

The yeast is the key to this style. A good clean fermentation will give you a great session beer.

+1 to 90 minute boil when using Pils in an AG brew.

Cheers,
Glenn

use german pilsner if you can, american pilsner malt makes my german brews taste like coors IMO.

Back