Homemade bottle rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
A while back I asked for tips on storing bottles and while I got some good tips I decided to try to build my own rack. The goal was to be able to store the bottles upside down to dry or right side up for storage. I also wanted to be able to take it apart in case I had no bottles to store so the rack wouldn't take up room.

My first prototype only held a 6 pack but my second holds 12 bottles. Here is the 12 bottle version that I made from scrap MDF and some dowels from Lowe's:

623687070_Qe4Qd-S.jpg

My main issue is I lack tools (and skills) to make nice clean straight cuts so it's a bit wobbly. I also lack patience to plan out a nicer finished product. For some reason the 1/4" dowels ended up very tight but the 3/8" dowels are a tad loose. I guess my 3/8" bit isn't that great. I also had some trouble finding good straight dowels. I almost wonder if any exist at Home Depot or Lowe's. A thin PVC pipe or something plastic might work better.

If I get around to another version I might put two 3/8" dowels on the bottom for each row. Right now a bottle can slide off the bottom support and fall too easily. I was also thinking of wrapping some twine or thin rope to separate the rows a bit. Instead of making the sides be squares, I should taper the tops up so I can run another dowel and make a handle for carrying. I'd also like to double the width so I could hold a full case but for that I think all the dowels need to be 3/8" and handles on each side would be best. Finally, if I get a version that I like I need to slap on some paint so it doesn't look too bad.

Just a suggestion, you might try a piece of all thread instead of the dowels

allthreadrod1.jpg

If you do the full case size rack, you might want to have some type of support in the center - especially if you are planning on putting full bottles on there.

Back