Brew with old ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicyjuice

Reaction score
I got some ingredients to brew an American style wheat ale for my wedding, but I never got around to actually brewing it and now ive had these ingredients sitting around for about 6 months! Theyre all sealed and were packaged from a pretty reputable online supplier, but I wasnt sure if they could have "spoiled" or somehow gone bad. Just whether or not it would generally be a very bad idea to go ahead and brew with them. Its an extract kit (im still a beginner) containing

Bavarian Wheat (Powdered) DME
Light DME
Glacier hop pellets
Whirfloc Clarifiers
Cornsugar

Would it be alright to use these, or would it be best to play it safe and just buy new ingredients?

Is the yeast expired?

if it were me I would just go for it. The only thing I would be concerned with is the yeast.

hmmm i didnt bother to check the yeast. Its stamped "04 2009", so i would assume its alright?

Has it been refrigerated? If not, I'd get another packet just in case it turns out to not be ok. Dried yeast degrades quickly at room temp.

Back