Quickly!!! Everyone dry hop your beers NOW!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
Wow...

So I'd read about dry hopping, seemed like a cool thing, but I'd never done it before.

I recently brewed what I call a "Edworts Haus Clone"....based strongly on that recipe...and it was OK, but not great. Not sure why, but it just tasted "murky"....no pop. It was decent beer, and my friends said it's OK, but lacked any real flavor.

I figured, what the heck, I have tons of hops thanks to HopsDirect....so I put 1 oz Cascade and 0.5 oz Amarillo into a mueslin bag with an SS hose clamp for weight, (it was lying around), and dropped em into the keg. I didn't worry about being able to retrieve the bag, as I figured I'd finish the keg in the 10 day "dry hop window"....and now I KNOW I will.

Wow! After only 1 day, this beer POPS. It's AWESOME.

I wouldn't even think this is the same beer I drank yesterday! Luckily, if i run out, I have another 5 gal in a keg downstairs that I also dry hopped, (will rack that one into another keg after the 7-10 days), so I have lots.

I'll be dry hopping everything now, for sure!!! (except stouts, milds, etc. where you don't want that hoppiness).

:mug: :drunk: :ban:

i have a stout i dry hop it is one of the most amazing stouts i have ever tasted..

Yeah, I love dry hopping my beers. Only thing, you need to drink them quite quickly to enjoy the full effects. I made an "extremely hoppy" beer a while back.... It was really good during the beginning, but now 6 months later, the bitterness is still there but the aroma and taste of the dry hopping has subsided.

I made a Belgian blonde about 6 months ago that was quite tasty, but it was definitely lacking that good Belgian aroma you're supposed to get.

I did the recipe again a few weeks ago and dry hopped some Goldings. That made a huge difference. I am so proud of it!

i have a stout i dry hop it is one of the most amazing stouts i have ever tasted..

Did you dry hop it with the same hops used in the boil? What hops? (I'm guessing EKG or Fuggle?)

Yeah, I love dry hopping my beers. Only thing, you need to drink them quite quickly to enjoy the full effects. I made an "extremely hoppy" beer a while back.... It was really good during the beginning, but now 6 months later, the bitterness is still there but the aroma and taste of the dry hopping has subsided.

Drinking them before they lose freshness will not be a problem :D :drunk:.

I could not resist a demand like that. I've made 10 batches of APA and IPA so far, and for some dumb reason have not dry hopped any of them. So after I read your message, I put a half ounce of cascade leaf in a nearly empty keg.
Well today, it really is perked up and tastes much more interesting.

I've got 7 full kegs out there I'm gonna have to throw and ounce or to in.

Thanks for the push.

Back