do i have an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benl560

Reaction score
its retorical... i really do. i know i shouldnt dump it, and by the way its cider not beer, but is there anything i can do besides rack from underneath and bottle...hope for the best.
DSC00159.JPG

ick. was this an open fermentation? I had moldy cider once - no salvaging that stuff. it had a horrible flavor. siphon it off and see though. won't hurt you.

Looks like a lacto or pedio infection. How sour is it? Both of those produce lactic acid.

Pedio takes quite a while to sour you beer/wine/cider while lacto is quite a bit quicker.

How old is the cider? If it was done fermenting then add potassium sorbate to kill it off. This will also kill off the yeast so you will have to do with not being able to carb your cider unless you keg.

Clean everything after words. Soak in oxiclean 1 scoop per gallon at least over night. Then you can use whatever sanitizer you use normally. (I use oxiclean as both but I don't want to get into that argument again). Pedio can be hard to get rid of. I got it a couple years ago from our air conditioning blowing it around.

Any idea how you got this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pediococcus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus

well, i thiunk this stems from drawing a sample about a week before i noticed it. i sanitized my baster and drew a sample of my beer. the beer is still fine, so i think i must have sat the baster on something without giving it any thought.

it was quite tart a week and a half ago, but i havn't tasted it since.i started ferment on march 1st. i think ill just roll with it and see what happens as ive been interested in the whole spontanious ferment thing for awhile. ill probibally just throw the bottle out...its just a 5 dollar water bottle

dont worry about the oxyclean, i use bleach and vinigar. it seems like people frown on that here too.

Back