Shipping cost!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
Where do you all get your supplies from? I have been doing some online shopping and I have seen about every site and I'm outraged by the shipping. I don't have a brew shop near me so that's not happening. Just want some feed back on the best place to go.

morebeer.com. Purchased my setup from there. Buy $59 and shipping is FREE! Prices are competitive. Shipping does take 1.5 weeks or so if you live on the east coast.

Good luck!

my experience with more beer is they have poor handling of the product with shipped items. Ordered some lme, equipment, and star san and the way they had packaged it I had star san all over everything and the bottle was about 1/5 empty.

my experience with more beer is they have poor handling of the product with shipped items. Ordered some lme, equipment, and star san and the way they had packaged it I had star san all over everything and the bottle was about 1/5 empty.

I placed a few orders, one with starsan. They placed the starsan in a separate bag and it did leak just a little. However, everything else stayed dry. From CA to NC, not too bad.

luckily nothing was ruined as everything was in it's own plastic bags as well but all of those bags were soaked in star san as the sanitizer did leak out of the bag that the star san container was in. I saw the problem as soon as the box was delivered as the bottom was soaked and almost falling apart. Left the company a bad survey and everything and they didn't even bother to contact me with and apology or any concern about the rest of the product... Very poor customer service as far as I'm concered when you place a $100+ order.

to get back on topic, northern brewer has been a good "go to" shop for me when ordering online but their new shipping policy kinda hurts them a little, you just have to make sure you order enough to make the shipping costs worth it and watch if you order heavier items as that can kill you.

luckily nothing was ruined as everything was in it's own plastic bags as well but all of those bags were soaked in star san as the sanitizer did leak out of the bag that the star san container was in. I saw the problem as soon as the box was delivered as the bottom was soaked and almost falling apart. Left the company a bad survey and everything and they didn't even bother to contact me with and apology or any concern about the rest of the product... Very poor customer service as far as I'm concered when you place a $100+ order.

Yeah, that sucks. I would have expected more. Even a phone call and 10% discount on next order would have been nice.

BTW, Pittsburgh. You live in the city or a suburb nearby? My wife is from up that way (wexford).

supplies like what?

I would suggest brewmasterswarehouse.com they have 6.99 flat rate shipping plus use BNARMY code to save 10% on your order

MoreBeer is a good option if you're not in a hurry. I live in CA and it still takes at least a week, sometimes two. Tough to beat free though, just plan ahead and order $59 worth of stuff at a time.

to give another company a shout out... if you are looking for bulk hops, go hopsdirect.com very good site, good prices/selection/quality and they always give a few extra ounces in the lb when you order. I would assume with you living in Ca that the shipping prices would be much lower than what I see as well.

supplies like what?

I would suggest brewmasterswarehouse.com they have 6.99 flat rate shipping plus use BNARMY code to save 10% on your order

They also seem reasonable and much closer to home. Thanks!

there's lots of places that have flat rate shipping, at least for most things. usually carboys and such don't get included in that. Austin Homebrew supplies, Annapolis Homebrew, and brewmaster warehouse are places I've ordered from that had flat rate shipping.

to give another company a shout out... if you are looking for bulk hops, go hopsdirect.com very good site, good prices/selection/quality and they always give a few extra ounces in the lb when you order. I would assume with you living in Ca that the shipping prices would be much lower than what I see as well.

I found farmhousebrewingsupply.com. They sell bulk 4 oz bulk hops. Never ordered from them but prices and shipping seem reasonable. Anyone ever use them?

OrdinaryAvgGuy said:
I found farmhousebrewingsupply.com. They sell bulk 4 oz bulk hops. Never ordered from them but prices and shipping seem reasonable. Anyone ever use them?

I've ordered from him twice. Excellent product and price. Shipping is comparable. Took about 1.5 weeks to get my order after placing it (to ny). Great place for bulk/semi bulk hops

+1 for BMW. $6.99 flat rate whether it's 10 pounds of grain or 50, plus the 10% discount on reasonable prices. It does take 1.5-2 weeks to get your order, but that's the give and take for the shipping costs. I've calculated a number of places on a single recipe and BMW always comes out best. The other BIG cost saver from them is that they only charge you for what you order. If you want 6.25oz of crystal malt, they give you just that much and charge accordingly rather than having to buy a full pound. I believe this is where a great deal of the savings comes from.
Austin charges extra for everything when you order beyond 1 pound. They nickel and dime you to death.

I would pick a recipe and pop it into the shopping cart of a few places and see what works for you. Most of these commonly used places have pretty good service.

Morebeer for me. I live in NYC and have never had a problem with there packing. I find them to be cheaper than anyone on the net. As an extract brewer. There extract is better than anything out there. I make a monthly order so I'm good to go month by month.

Midwest is only 2 states away from me,Their stuff is fresh,reasonably priced,& gets to me really fast with Fed-Ex home delivery. Arrives in good shape too. I can get an order in from them in as little as 2 days. Those places offering discounts are shipping via ground which will laways take the longest. Not good for me being retired. Can't order early with no money before the first of the month. Then waiting over two weeks for the hub by Hopkins airport gets enough orders backed up (UPS) coming out our way to actually ship them. F that.

I have come to realize that it's all about what you order. Morebeer doesn't sell everything I want but I can get most of it and for free shipping if its over $50. Amazon is nice if you have Amazon Prime shipping and you can get the product at that rate. I will buy from like 3 different sites. But I'm starting to brew all grain now and that equipment is not cheep so paying like $10 total for shipping for over $300 of brew stuff (plus a little extra for fun) is not bad. Thanks you all for the advice.

Latest posts

Back