white dots floating on top of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
First brew ever, Nut Brown Ale. Was in primary fermentation in plastic bucket for 1 week followed by 3 weeks in 5 g glass carboy. Last week it tasted fine and it still smells fine today, but I am noticing small dot like things floating on top, and the amount of them has been increasing with time. I will bottle this weekend. What is floating on the top of my beer? I'm just curious even if it doesn't matter. I probably need to relax and have a homebrew :)

Thanx,

First time brewer

Yeast rafts perhaps? Pics worth well you know!

If its not hairy then RDWHAHB!

pictures would allow us to tell you what it is for sure. but normally the Co2 produced from fermentation can leave small white spots on the top of the beer...Dont throw it out!!!! wait and make sure

It's probably just the last traces of krausen. And it's probably nothing to worry about.

What I would be concerned about, however, is that it seems like you took it off the yeast after just 7 days. That's not always enough time for fermentation to wrap up. Did you take gravity readings before and after to be sure fermentation was complete before putting it in your secondary fermentor?

Good luck with the brew!

Latest posts

Back