Regualtor relief valve - necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
I know ball lock kegs come with a pressure relief on the lid so you can always relieve pressure that way.
But I've noticed not all regulators have a manual pressure relief valve.
They all have a built-in safety relief valve that will activate if necessary, but some - like Taprites - don't have a manual relief option.

Is that something you use often? Should I make sure the setup I choose has one?

I'm just trying to think of all the "little things" I would want/need to have when I get the kegging system up and running - like easy adjustment knobs instead of the screws. What's your opninion on those as well?

I guess in the end, they all work and it's just a matter of getting used to whatever system you have...

None of my regulators have a manual relief. In ten years of brewing I can't say I've ever needed one.

I find a screw driver works okay for the once a year or less adjusting. If you insist on an exact pressure setting for each beer, then a knob on each of your regulators would be useful. I've got two primaries and two secondaries and I can't recall the last time I adjusted any of them.

I actually prefer to close the keg relief rather than have to buy new relief valves and have yet another place to maintain parts on a obselescing system.

Back