Wyeast Fall PC strains - all lagers, which ones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to try all three in Denver during GABF week. One of the Rock Bottom's split one of their light lager worts into thirds and fermented with each yeast. They served it at a Wyeast demo at a homebrew shop. Was pretty interesting to try side by side...

I can't remember who they said the first two were from... but the third was indeed Staropramen.

I can't remember who they said the first two were from... but the third was indeed Staropramen.
I just went by the KotMF yeast comparison and it says the 2487 Hella-Bock is the Ayinger strain but apparently not. Never heard of Samiclaus but that's where it's from.

Here's the response I got from Wyeast. I asked about the origins of the current 3 PC strains and if there was a Spaten/Frankizaner lager strain available.

SCA,

The Spaten/Franzikaner strain is indeed a proprietary strain. If you can get your hands on some, let us know. The 2487 is from the old Austrian brewery that used to produce Samiclaus. You are correct about the Staro strain. We are unsure about the origin of the 2247, Carlsberg is a possibility.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Prost!
Customer Service Manager
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.

I just went by the KotMF yeast comparison and it says the 2487 Hella-Bock is the Ayinger strain but apparently not. Never heard of Samiclaus but that's where it's from.

Here's the response I got from Wyeast. I asked about the origins of the current 3 PC strains and if there was a Spaten/Frankizaner lager strain available.

Interesting... Carlsberg would be good too. Nice and hoppy lager.

Samichlaus yeast is available from White Labs as WLP885, the Platinum Zurich lager yeast, so I guess my initial reaction was correct 2487 == WLP885 and not the Ayinger so the Mr Malty page is a FAIL on that one. Samichlaus is a 14% ABV Munich Helles-style bock.

Yum! Either way---Ayinger Doppelbock or Samichlaus; both work for this guy!
Planning on a Dec 6 brewing of a Samichlaus clone so will try to get the 2487 (if I can't get the WLP885).

Back