Subtract starter DME from recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgherrington3

Reaction score
Brewing up a batch with US-05. Haven't used this yeast before so I'm making a 2 stage starter.

Boiled 1 gal water added 1# light DME, Put 1 litter in 2 liter soda bottle and added yeast pack, will add this to remaining 3L (that in the fermenter waiting) after 2 days, then wait 2 days cook the batch and pitch on top of the starter. Got it? :ban:

But the question is: Do I subtract the 1# of DME from my recipe?

Stoked to brew my first IPA. :tank:

If you are concerned with higher alcohol content then cold crash the starter and pour off excess beer. Personally i wouldn't worry about reducing the dme used in the starter since for a 1L starter at 1.045 you are using .25lb dme.

Brewing up a batch with US-05. Haven't used this yeast before so I'm making a 2 stage starter.

Boiled 1 gal water added 1# light DME, Put 1 litter in 2 liter soda bottle and added yeast pack, will add this to remaining 3L (that in the fermenter waiting) after 2 days, then wait 2 days cook the batch and pitch on top of the starter. Got it? :ban:

But the question is: Do I subtract the 1# of DME from my recipe?

Stoked to brew my first IPA. :tank:

damn, 1 gallon of starter??? that's IMPRESSIVE... what's the batch size??? if it's a 5 gallon batch that's WAY overkill. as for your question. NO don't subtract the starter amount from the recipe

and S-05 is a dry yeast. you DON'T make a starter with dry yeast. just toss in or rehydrate and toss in. Starters are for liquid yeast

Fermentis does not recommend using starter for US-05.

From their web site:
Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the
expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream
into the fermentation vessel.

See http://www.fermentis.com/FO/60-Beer/60-11_product_rangeHB.asp for more info.

no, you don't subtract the starter DME from the main batch DME.

don't make a starter with dry yeast. it's formulated to hit the ground running, so making a starter defeats the purpose of dry yeast - you're wasting that stored up energy on the starter instead of using it for the beer.

Ooops, and I thought I was being slick making a starter.

I'm going to pitch the 1L starter and add the 3L to the boil.

Thanks for the help!

Ooops, and I thought I was being slick making a starter.

I'm going to pitch the 1L starter and add the 3L to the boil.

Thanks for the help!

Should still work out OK, but not ideal

Also, in my experience, US-05 does not like high ferm temps. Be sure and keep it in its specified temp range (best idea of course for any yeast). I got some strong fusel alcohols last year in US-05 ferm where I was not careful enough with the ferm temps.

Back