O2 permeation and plastic buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobS

Reaction score
So here is the question/idea. Since I've heard that plastic buckets are more O2 permiable than glass, and I have personally used almost exclusivly glass carboys, I was planning on brewing up something like Joppenbeir or Mumme i.e. a a beer that takes a pellice to the next level. Where I get a thick bubble almost kombuchy skin that I would plan on peeling off one or twice during fermentation. Now what I was wondering is since a 5 gal glass carboy won't let me do this, if I use a plastic bucket would the combination of the removal plus additional permeability from the bucket create too much acetic acid? And secondly I do have several 55gal food grade barrels, could I set the 5gal buck inside the 55gal bucket and CO2 flush this every couple of weeks to prevent too much O2 transfer, or would this not help?

What flavor profle are you trying to accomplish? The pellicle mostly forms in response to oxygen, and the microbes that create it are mainly in suspension (unlike kombucha where the disk of gelatinous goo is comprised of the microbes).

Buckets really aren't THAT permeable, the big issue is their seals which tend to be hit or miss (especially if you are frequently opening them).

Well for flavor profile I was just hoping for drinkable. I figure it would be somewhat sour. Really more of a microbio experiment. As I was planning on using a Saison Yeast, Brett Clausini, a Kombucha Scoby, Pediococcus, and a Cheese culture for the fermentation process. Something with an initial gravity in the 1.140 range probably 35% from Honey

And the open closing of the bucket was a good part of my worry. I have read on here of people doing sours in buckets for the full year plus w/ no problems but since my thought was to skim the skin at some point I felt that in a small batch this might create too much O2 exposure. Hence the idea of submerging in a larger 'bucket' filled w/ CO2.

to get back to the OP's question: There was a thread about oxygen permeability where bucket manufacturers were called, equasions were solved, etc. and it turns out that the oxygen permeability isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. But that was assuming some pretty normal conditions (1 month primary for example). You are suggesting something on a different plane than your "normal" beer.

good luck!

Latest posts

Back