Beersmith ferm profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santhalas

Reaction score
Just post this thread in the begginer section but I think is more related to this section ;)

Hi, i just start using beersmith and i was looking at ferm profiles:
Ale, Two Stage: 4 Days in Primary, 10 days in secondary, Age for 30 days. Description: Two stage ale fermentation suitable for just about any ale. Two stage fermentations are used by many homebrewers to improve flavor by separating the active yeast and trub from the beer early.

But from what i have read, most people are doing 3-4 weeks in primary. A lot of experienced brewers here are giving that advice.

Then i have two questions:
1. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of this beersmith ferm profile?
2. What would be your recomendation for a "Homebrewtalk" General Ale Profile?:
Primary for ___ Days
Secondary for___ Days
Age ___ Days

Thanks in advance!! :)

Just post this thread in the begginer section but I think is more related to this section ;)

Hi, i just start using beersmith and i was looking at ferm profiles:
Ale, Two Stage: 4 Days in Primary, 10 days in secondary, Age for 30 days. Description: Two stage ale fermentation suitable for just about any ale. Two stage fermentations are used by many homebrewers to improve flavor by separating the active yeast and trub from the beer early.

But from what i have read, most people are doing 3-4 weeks in primary. A lot of experienced brewers here are giving that advice.

Then i have two questions:
1. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of this beersmith ferm profile?
2. What would be your recomendation for a "Homebrewtalk" General Ale Profile?:
Primary for ___ Days
Secondary for___ Days
Age ___ Days

Thanks in advance!! :)

I never secondary ferment. Not many people I know do this any more. I also use a conical fermenter, so what's the point of secondary again?

I also never go by the amount of time in fermentation. I use the gravity readings to determine when fermentation is over. Once the gravity hits the same point 3 days in a row, I call it done. If I bottle, I wait 24 hours and get one more FG reading. I now keg and this even means less for me, but I do like the yeast consumed before I cold condition.

Being a "ale" has little to do with it. It has to do with temps, quality of yeast and fermentables in the wort.

Aging also depends on the style of beer. I cold condition usually 30 days. Some heavier beers I CC for much longer. I use my taste buds for scientific calibration of aging.

What would be your recomendation for a "Homebrewtalk" General Ale Profile?
Like with almost anything... depends. Typically, I don't secondary, and I have for the most part ignored all the features in Beersmith regarding fermentation profiles. If the yeast is done fermenting, let it finish cleaning. If the yeast is finished cleaning up after itself, let the beer age a bit. If the beer is tasting decent, keg and carbonate it. If the beer is properly carbonated, drink it.

The process doesn't need to be more difficult as it is, and it doesn't need to necessarily be structured either. You are at the mercy of your yeast.

For most beers, my schedule is around (and I stress the around part because I do stuff when I get around to it) 3 weeks fermentation, keg, carbonate. Sometimes it is 4 weeks, sometimes, between. Many times, it depends on the beer style.

I have a beer that tasted great after 4 weeks, but won me a gold medal this weekend in stouts after 6 months, and will probably taste divine after a year.

Back