Hydometer leaked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ti28

Reaction score
Has anyone else had a Hydrometer leak water into it on them? I wanted to sanitize it to take a gravity reading, so I submerged into cleaner for a few minutes and went back to it, notice the thing wasn't floating where it should be. Look and there is a little bit of water inside of it.

I would take a "wild guess" here and say it's trashed now. God damn scrape!

You're right. A hydrometer that takes on a little liquid isn't going to do you much good. Haven't had that happen to me, but I suppose it only takes a little crack somewhere to allow that to happen.

Yeah, it blows I'm in the middle of a batch and this happens. It's not even a week old, time to look for a good one; not plastic.

Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra money on a refractometer. You wont need to fill a sample jar and wait for it to cool anymore. Just a couple drops and it instantly tells you the OG. You'd still need a hydrometer to measure FG, but for pre-pitched wort you cant beat it.

Back