Hopped Up High Gravity American Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I was reading this months BYO mag, and American Wheat was discussed in detail. Many brewers stated that this is a great style to showcase hops and test out new varieties. So this got me thinking, why couldn't I take a nice, mellow american wheat recipe, and just jack it up? Like an India Style American Wheat or something?

7 pounds wheat malt
7 pounds pale malt
.75 oz Magnum at 60
1 oz centennial at 10
1 oz centennial at 1
1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz centennial dry hop
Mash at 152
Pacman Yeast

I really enjoy boulders hazed and infused, I wonder if this recipe would be along the same lines? Thoughts?

I do something similar with my hoppy wheat 50/50 mix of wheat and pale malt then 6 oz of amarillo and/or sometimes amarillo and centennial. It is awesome and people love it, funny that it can be so hoppy but people automatically taste they fruitiness of the hops when it is in a wheat beer. I think you are on the road man. I do not however believe that it is similar to hazed and infused. That uses no wheat malt, and roasted barley and crystal, very much an APA- you can really taste the roasted. Plus the hops are different. Nugget, crystal, centennial and williamette, IIRC- I just had one last night!

Back