I accidentally....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisbrew

Reaction score
..left my my tempature in the house on 78 which resulted in my brew to sit at 76-77 degrees all day long. Will this affect my beer in anyway? It was just one day, I generally have it sitting at 69-70 degrees. It's in the primary right now and has been sitting in it for 10 days.

Since it was likely past active fermentation I wouldn't worry about it. Probably not much happened.

No, your primary fermentation should be done at his point so temp. shouldn't affect it at all. The first 72 hours is the time when off flavors can be produced after that fermentation slows. so you should be ok.

After 10 days, it's most likely done fermenting, so probably no harm was done. From what I understand (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the first few days are the most important for temp control since that's when the yeast are growing.

..left my my tempature in the house on 78 which resulted in my brew to sit at 76-77 degrees all day long. Will this affect my beer in anyway? It was just one day, I generally have it sitting at 69-70 degrees. It's in the primary right now and has been sitting in it for 10 days.
if i understand correctly, you pitched your yeast 10 days ago. on day 10 (or day 9?), the brew spent 1 day at 78 degrees.

if that's the case, you should have little to no harmful effects. the temp thing is important during initial (active) fermentation - when the contents are churning, there is krausen, and, yes, the air lock is bubbling away at steady speed (assuming the CO2 doesn't have another way of escaping, like a loose bucket lid). this is usually - but not always - done by day 5... 'ish.

by day 10, i would assume that the peak of fermentation is over. so you're safe. enjoy your beer.

Back