Brew Kettle too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BantamSLK

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm still brewing in 5 gallon batches, but looking to get a nice new brew kettle. I was looking at the Blichmann Boilermakers, and I'm stuck on what size. They recommend the 10 gallon pot for a 5 gallon batch, but 20 gallon pot for a 10 gallon batch. I figure that I will probably move up in size some day, and given how expensive the pot is ($300 for the 10, only $100 more for the 20), then it makes sense to just get the 20 now.

Am I missing anything here in getting the 20? Obviously it's more area to clean, and bigger on my stove (I brew on the stove, but have a big gas burner that it will fit on), but it seems like well worth the extra $$ if I ever want to step up to 10 gallons.

Thoughts? Thanks

You'll be fine but you may need adjust your boil-off amount. The bigger the surface area the higher the evaporation rate. You'll have to start with a slightly larger pre-boil volume.

I'm assuming you're currently doing extract batches, is that right? If so, I'd get the 20 gallon, or even a 26 like they have at morebeer. The investment now will allow you to spread out your expense, and get a big MLT when the time comes.

You will have a lot more boil-off, but for the cost difference, it's worth the price in the long run. You should make sure your burner can do it though.

I don't know, maybe it is just me but spending $400.00 on a pot when you're brewing extract in your kitchen seems like putting an awful lot of eggs in one basket. You could get a nice pot (or keggle) and a lot of other great stuff for 400 bones.

The 26 gallon megapot from morebeer is about 290 with free shipping and two ports welded in. You really cant beat the price and it has a 10 yr warranty. I got one last year and love it! I can't really see a 26 gallon pot on a stove top however.

The 26 gallon megapot from morebeer is about 290 with free shipping and two ports welded in. You really cant beat the price and it has a 10 yr warranty. I got one last year and love it! I can't really see a 26 gallon pot on a stove top however.

yeah that pot would be a little overkill on the stove. I've got the 25 and 15 gal megapots and when doing 5 gallon batches in the smaller pot the wort is barely over the temp probe

i'd want to use an outdoor burner for a 10 gallon+ boil unless i had a professional grade viking or wolf in the kitchen.

i'd want to use an outdoor burner for a 10 gallon+ boil unless i had a professional grade viking or wolf in the kitchen.

Even those will struggle given most are just "professional" grade for residential consumers.

Anyhow, if you buy everything because you MIGHT do something in the future you are going to be making some tough calls, especially if you are going to go top of the line.

Get yourself a decent 9-10 gallon pot on the cheap and use it while you build your dream system.

I have a 20gal boilermaker I have used for two 5 1/2 gallon batches. I boil off close to 20% on my turkey fryer. It takes about 8 1/2 gallons to make it up to the brewmometer. Love the pot and have plenty of room to grow.

I was facing this same issue just this past weekend... Spend ~$320 on the 10 gallon, of $370 on the 15 gallon... Basically, it came down to my space limitations as well as only brewing 5 gallon batches right now. I know I'll be brewing 10 gallon batches eventually, I just don't know when, and what I'll have for a rig by then. So, for now (and the foreseeable future) the 10 gallon kettle made the most sense.

If you have the space, and such, for the 15 (or 20) gallon kettle, then do it. Just be sure that the rest of your brewing hardware will work with batches done in it. If you're using an IC, it might not work well in the shallow wort. If a CFC or plate chiller, it shouldn't be an issue.

Its very hard to make these suggestions because everyone has different long term plans. I was kicking myself for buying a 10 gallon pot for 100 bucks, only to need a 26 later for 250!

Back