Montrachet yeast & washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to whip up my first batch of the (in)famous apfelwein, and i was just wondering if the Montrachet yeast can be treated as other beer yeast with regards to the typical washing method after primary fermentation.

If so, are the storage conditions comparable (viability length, temps, etc.)?

Personally, for the $1.75 a pack, I wouldn't bother. I bought 3 packs last time i was at the LHBS, and called it good!

I'm just considering it for more of a convenience thing versus a price thing. On an unrelated note, is this yeast dry or liquid? I'm assuming dry based on suggested price...

I've never done it, but I don't think I would even try. You have some stressed yeast (hence the famous rhino farts) and wine yeast lees have very fine sediment in it. I've always just thrown out all of my wine yeast cakes.

If you want to try, though, I'd love to hear how it comes out!

you can however, add apple juice and dextrose to a montrachet yeast cake after you rack your first batch to the bottling bucket....

which is suggested if you are similiar to most people who like the quick and easy apfelwine that keeps fermenters full and pressure off a light pipeline....

pitch on that cake!

Back