Racking and Bottling Question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taelmore

Reaction score
I have a brew in my secondary and what I was wondering is if I need to put it in another carboy or bucket before I put it into bottles or can I just bottle it out of the secondary. I was also wondering about the bottle caps, should I boil them for a few minuest before I use them, or what is the best way to sanitize them before use? :drunk:

The usual practice is:
Boil 5oz corn sugar in 1 pint water for 5 minutes.
Cool to 100 degrees F or less and add to sanitized bottling bucket.
Rack beer from secondary to bottling bucket (close that spigot first!).
Stir gently with sanitized spoon to ensure even distrubution of priming sugar.
Attach bottling wand to spigot.
Open spigot and fill bottles.

If you bottle directly from the secondary, you'll rouse the yeast and have
more sediment in your bottles.

I dump my caps into a bowl of StarSan.
Boiling might melt the plastic sealing ring.

One of the main reasons for the secondary is to clear your beer, and if you stir your priming sugar directly into the secondary for bottling you will also stir up the sediment that you waited to settle out. Yes, it will work, but you'll have clearer beer if you rack onto your sugar solution in a different vessel and bottle from there.

As to bottle caps, I just use some of the iodophor solution used to sanitize the bottling bucket.

I put my caps in a colander and dunk the entire colander into my star-san solution which is in my bottling bucket (before I rack my beer into it) for 5 sec and remove. I shake it from time to time to help dry it but I don't think that's necessary. :mug:

Back